• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts of this 1878-S PCGS MS64 Toner????

18 posts in this topic

Hello----Sure, it is in a PCGS holder. And the toning does look OK. But, I'll go out on a limb and say it is AT and not NT toning. The dealer is OK. I have done business with him. He stands behind any mistake----which he did in my case. But, if this toning was "original", do you believe it would only be going for that money?? Think about it---if "original and NT" and it looked like that----Would it sell for under a hundred?? I don't think so. Bob [supertooth]

Personally, this is just "OK" toning for me. It "looks" reasonably original to me. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the ugliest possible blotchy black toning, and 10 being the most gorgeous possible target toning, it would be about a 6 for me - only a small premium, say $65 total.

Just my humble opinion! boo.gif

James

Kind of what I thought. I guess with the low shipping, and returns accepted it might be worth seeing if it looks better in hand. Although examples of better toned coins go higher, I cant help but think it looks better in hand. Who knows. Maybe an early xmas gift for me???

Well, on the other hand, I always tell people that if the coin really does something for you, then does it's "price" really matter that much? After all, I have coins that I've way overpaid, but I still like them. Sounds like you probably should go for it!!!!!

James

I want to say one additional thing and then I will leave this alone. The coin "looks like original toning". The key words here are 'looks like'. It presents itself well and has 'eye appeal'. But I have bought Walkers from this gentleman in the past. If the coin is "original" he always says so in the description. If it is not----he says nothing. If this toning was "original", he would be all over it saying it was so. If I thought it was, I would have already bought the coin. Get Bob Campbell's ANA video on AT vs. NT toning. There are VERY MANY AT coins in PCGS and NGC and ANACS holders.They call it 'market acceptable'. Bob [supertooth]

The 78-S is a tough date to find with the combination of nice tone and luster. When found they will carry a pretty high premium.

The coin on Ebay from what I see on my monitor should carry no premium for the toning. It will more than likely carry the dull tone and luster that many of this date is noted for.

if you want a killer great lustre 1878-s buy this coin that just appeared on mark felds e mail new coins for sale

www.markfeldcoins.com

better call fast it will soon be gone

1878-S Morgan Dollar NGC MS65 $235

Glowing luster, semi-prooflike surfaces and attention-grabbing peripheral color in shades of golden-orange, violet and turquoise, combine to make for a great visual impression. A lot of coin for the money.

obverse: http://markfeldcoins.com/client/dollar1878S%20obv.jpg

reverse: http://markfeldcoins.com/client/dollar1878S%20rev.jpg

Mark Feld's coin definitely has better toning, clearly original, and on my scale, it's about a 7 and worth some premium. However, the images make it look like an awfully noisy coin. I hope all those chicken-scratches are on the slab(?)

James

boo.gif yuk boo.gif

My sentiments exactly - It does not appear to be an attractively toned coin. Images can sometimes be deceiving, but If you enlarge the secon image you'll see some things that will only look worse in hand -JMHO