• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So.........You want to collect Buffalo Nickels?

4 posts in this topic

(This was posted across the street...for those of you who like a little story, I'll post it here, too. Enjoy.)

You want to collect Buffs?

Be prepared to enter the world of mystery. Some have travelled here. A lot have left. As you peruse this road you choose to travel, be prepared for a lot of sick Bison. Study them. Examine them. Some have no tails. Some are shiney and uncirculated, but were born with lumps on their heads instead of horns. Some of the strangest ones run around with little caps on their heads.

Some Bisons look like ghosts, with shadowy legs and smooth bodies. They scream to you: I have NO WEAR!!! Yet they float on the reverse of the coin like wax melting in the sun. Some of the invalids have only three legs. The saddest of them hobble on 3 1/2.

Now go to the obverse and look at the poor, sad Indian. He stares at the LIBERTY he fought for and lost. "Iron Tail" sometimes looks like his hair will come free from the knot that is supposed to be there, but looks like a square lump.

He also is plagued by moths that drove him crazy in his later life. Look and see how his neck is being eaten away.....and he almost NEVER puts his good feather headdress on. He seems to prefer the one with the incomplete, worn looking feathers. Sometime he puts on his "two feather" top. Reservation life took away his pride.

The Mint tried to help him by strengthening LIBERTY and the date in 1916, but still he fades into obscurity most of the time......his date gone......not knowing when he was born. In 1918, even the Mint didn't know...and put two different dates on him.

Iron tail sometimes does not know where he was born.....Denver or San Francisco. Some coins have both mintmarks on the back. At least He knows that he came from the West Coast.

I welcome you to this coin and series. Please stay. Don't get frustrated. Your rewards come from your finds....and when you see "Iron Tail" with his good clothes on and his Sunday go to POW WOW feathers....and when you see "Black Diamond" the bison in all his rugosity with that bushy head of hair and full horn and tail.......

You'll know why you stayed.

Pete

Excellent creative writeing Pete! thumbsup2.gif

But I want all buffalo nickel hunters to go away and let me collect the rest of the series cheaply. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

I recently separated my one complete set (except 18/7). It is mostly coins with 7/8 horns and better (which qualifies as VF-20 or better), but about 15% of the coins have only a partial horn. Curiously, I have ALL of the tough dates with the better horn detail (years of searching), and it was bugging me to have the easy coins (say 1917, 1936-D, 1938) with only 1/4 of the horn showing mixed in with the better coins.

So I now have two sets, one that WILL be a true VF set after I add all the common dates with a full horn, and one that will only be FINE, but requiring a lot more coins, including all the tougher ones.

Strangely, it is almost as tough to find a common 1936-D that has a full horn, yet does not grade above VF, since most dealers don't bother to cart around coins like that.

Pity me! crazy.gif

James