• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Quarter to add to my set....

12 posts in this topic

Here is a recent purchase for my raw set.... Have a look. It is a 1942-S which is a bit tougher past MS 63 I think. or at least the price would indicate so...

986496-1942qtr.jpg

986496-1942qtr.jpg.ab0ba42f9fab11341661b1c25f81f534.jpg

Why only a 64????

That coin looks much better.

Pete

A few small hits keep this coin to a 64... I am not saying it could not go 65, but I think if it did that would be a point to high... Look at the left wing and his neck

I still have four slots open in my #1 (MS-65 and up) album. They are 1932-D, 1932-S, 1936-D and 1937-S. In my #2 album (MS-60 and up), I have only 1937 and 1937-S to fill.

Your coin looks like one I'd gladly put in my #1 album!!

James

So you would call this a MS-65? Is that what you are telling me? How do you think it would do at one of the grading services?(Not that it will be going to one anyhow)

Very nice coin. You said it is raw, are you grading it yourself to be MS64? I am new to grading, but I'd say it is an MS65 in that good of condition, even with a couple of small hits you point out.

Jonathan

That was the grade I gave it myself. It could very well be a low end MS 65... but I like calling it a high end MS 64. I got it from my local coin dealer at a great deal. This is always the great debate on grading. Everybody grades coins a bit differently but if when you buy the coin you are happy with the grade assigned to it, why change it? It could be a 65 or a 64 at NGC or PCGS but that is a fine line and for a raw set I would figure it does not matter near as much. This is a coin I will have for some time, some dealers would have it a 65 and some a 64.... I got it for an MS 63 price.. freshly pulled from a partial set that my local coin dealer had just gotten in. I still think the hits would keep it down to a 64.. but its all an opinion. Also on a side note... note the few small spots on the reserve the biggest one being on the rim... which would also limit the grade....

Your coin looks quite attractive and, simply from the images and within their limitations, I would also put the coin at MS64. It looks to have very good, intact luster and there are really no singular hits that kill the grade. However, the reverse is a bit chippy and that keeps the overall grade to MS64. That's a nice pickup as this date is tougher, as you have mentioned, in higher grades. thumbsup2.gif

You echo alot of my thoughts on this coin... The luster is that of a 65 / 66 but the strike (reserve breast area is a tad bit soft if you ask me) and hits coupled with the few small spots bring it back down to 64 in my opinion... now if this were on ebay it would be "1942 S GEM BU MS 68 L@@K! KEY DATE! RARE!" And lets not forget a blurry picture! Or something dumb like that.... I am trying to keep my standards up for this set and finish it off with exceptional quality! Maybe this effect of being strict on coins is from trying to keep the set looking nice or maybe from Leo and his rantings on nickels... which is a good thing.... because now I am use more caution when buy raw coins and therefore make less mistakes.