• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005 Bison Nickels Business Strikes

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering what people thought about the quality of these coins? Does the fact that not many of these coins have been made at uber grades mean anything, or is it there just havent been enough people submitting.

A follow up question: Seems like people who have bought bank rolls at face have been saying few if any are even worthy of 65. Doe sthat mean the Mint Roll sets might be bought up in hopes of finding better quality Bisons?

Does the fact that not many of these coins have been made at uber grades mean anything, or is it there just havent been enough people submitting.

This is the ten thousand dollar qestion, right? I believe, however, that most of the business strikes are of poor quality due to their handling at the Mint. I also believe that over time, many more will be made in grades of 66 and better. How, many? I have no idea. But in terms of spending a bunch of money, I wouldn't. Besides, a nice MS65 piece, which anyone could find with some looking, would be perfectly sufficient for most collections.

A follow up question: Seems like people who have bought bank rolls at face have been saying few if any are even worthy of 65. Doe sthat mean the Mint Roll sets might be bought up in hopes of finding better quality Bisons?

No. There's no difference that I've heard of in the handling of Mint wrapped rolls vs. those released to circulation. The few posts that I've seen where someone has opened a Mint-wrapped roll has been nothing but an expression of disappointment. Pay $8.95 and buy the wrapper.

Hoot

Hoot's right about the mint rolls. I’ve searched them myself, and they are very disappointing. I didn't find anything above 65, and calling the nicest pieces I found MS65's is a bit of a stretch. The coins are horrible.

Another follow up question:

Obviously the Bisons were not the big winner like the PM Nicks were. But don't you think they will have some sort of premium after they Mint stops selling them?

Will they be like the Keelboats and maybe you can get $15 a set ina year or two, or might they be worth more?

The very fact that higher grades are practically nonexistent in bags and rolls will only add to the premium value of the Satin Mint Sets. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Chris

""The very fact that higher grades are practically nonexistent in bags and rolls will only add to the premium value of the Satin Mint Sets. Buy! Buy! Buy! ""

Why do you say that? Arent both PCGS & NGC going to have both Busines Strike & Satin Finish in their registries? Or are people going to try to pass of SF as MS coins?

Anyone know what the mintages are so far for this years Mint Sets?

""The very fact that higher grades are practically nonexistent in bags and rolls will only add to the premium value of the Satin Mint Sets. Buy! Buy! Buy! ""

Why do you say that? Arent both PCGS & NGC going to have both Busines Strike & Satin Finish in their registries? I would imagine they will, but if collectors can't get the high grades from the business strikes, what other choice will they have?

Or are people going to try to pass of SF as MS coins? Nah, nobody would ever do that! But, the Mint is already using worn satin-finish dies for circulation coins.

Anyone know what the mintages are so far for this years Mint Sets?

According to the October 25 issue of Numismatic News the Mint has produced 1,102,793 sets; for 2005 Bison 5c business strikes, Philadelphia has produced 448,320,000 and Denver has produced 487,680,000.

Since the introduction of the Mint Sets, the quality of the business strikes has been really bad for nickels and quarters. Like I said, the Mint has been using worn satin-finish dies for business production. The dies are heavily abraded and, where polishing was not needed, the coins clearly have the satin finish. Do you really think that many high-grade specimens will come from this combination? This is just my opinion, but I believe the Mint Sets will be the primary source for the high grades but they will account for less than one-fourth of 1% of the total production.

Chris

Another follow up question:

Obviously the Bisons were not the big winner like the PM Nicks were. But don't you think they will have some sort of premium after they Mint stops selling them?

Will they be like the Keelboats and maybe you can get $15 a set ina year or two, or might they be worth more?

TW, some dealers in the rags are now offering one roll of each (P&D) Peace Medal, Keelboat, Bison & Ocean for $60. That averages out to $15.00 per set. Just recently, I bought one of the 50-roll bags of 2005-D Bison for $169 on eBay. They were surplus from the National Nickel Exchange ceremony in Oregon prior to the introduction of the Ocean nickel. At $3.38 a roll, I couldn't resist.

Chris

So what will become of the 2005 Bison and Ocean in View 2 Roll Mint sets in say 2 years? Could there be an increase like the PM Nickels...or will people be lucky to get twice what they paid?

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. Check out Item #8345605386, 2004 P&D Peace Medal, 2-Roll Set. There have been 15 bids and it is currently at $182.50!

Chris

I cracked open 4 rolls US minted 2-05 (2 rolls of D and 2 rolls of P) and it was just sad:( . The D's looked bright but full of marks and the P's where dull and had a lot of rim dings and more marks than the D's. It was just sad tonofbricks.gif

No. There's no difference that I've heard of in the handling of Mint wrapped rolls vs. those released to circulation. The few posts that I've seen where someone has opened a Mint-wrapped roll has been nothing but an expression of disappointment. Pay $8.95 and buy the wrapper.

Hoot

The mint actually contracts a vendor to roll the Mint-wrapped coins. So, they are sent in bulk to the vendor where they recieve their share of bumps and dings. There is no special handling requirements for them.

Well I guess I'll just hold the Mint Wrapped sets for a few years and see if they don't move up some in that time. I had thought the poor quality of the PM business strikes was one of the reason for the high demand of the Mint Wrapped rolls. or was it the actual mintage of the Mint Wrapped sets that drove price of PM sets?

Hello TerrapinWill

I had to drag this poat back up because of something I have seen on Ebay. There

is an Powerseller who I have noticed that is buying (it seems) all of the two roll sets

dated 02/15/05 here lately. He has even paid close to double the price of these things on ebay.

The question is why? I could not help myself so I opened one of these dated boxes

and I did not find anything out of the normal except that the D's were really as close to PQ'S as I have seen so far and I did get one that I might send in NGC to see if I can actually grade one of these things.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of any reason for this. The P's were just as bad as almost anything I have seen so far, but a few of the D's looked closer to a proof than business strike. Again the handling at the mint has left to many marks on the obverse for me to even try except the one that I found, which only has a few hairlines that sometimes are hard to see unless you turn the coin the right way.

I have been to chicken to open any more of these dated boxes untill I can see or find out why this date is worth paying double what these are going for.

Does anyone out there know why?

Thanks in advance

Hello TerrapinWill

I had to drag this poat back up because of something I have seen on Ebay. There

is an Powerseller who I have noticed that is buying (it seems) all of the two roll sets

dated 02/15/05 here lately. He has even paid close to double the price of these things on ebay.

The question is why? I could not help myself so I opened one of these dated boxes

and I did not find anything out of the normal except that the D's were really as close to PQ'S as I have seen so far and I did get one that I might send in NGC to see if I can actually grade one of these things.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of any reason for this. The P's were just as bad as almost anything I have seen so far, but a few of the D's looked closer to a proof than business strike. Again the handling at the mint has left to many marks on the obverse for me to even try except the one that I found, which only has a few hairlines that sometimes are hard to see unless you turn the coin the right way.

I have been to chicken to open any more of these dated boxes untill I can see or find out why this date is worth paying double what these are going for.

Does anyone out there know why?

Thanks in advance

"Went", the codes on the boxes have nothing to do with when they were struck. As stated before, the coins are shipped in bulk to a distribution center where they are rolled and boxed. The problem is that you still have insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on eBay who know nothing about what they are trying to sell.................and some buyers who are foolish enough to believe it.

Chris