• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about this quarter?

12 posts in this topic

What do you think this quarter would grade at? Thanks in Advance... I just want to see what yall think on this beauty!(Thanks Tom)

959961-1934d.jpg

959974-1934d1.jpg

Images are ok... but I could not get the booming luster to show up on this coin without a big glare...

959961-1934d.jpg.5147dc90426fa00ba08b971f8bb890f1.jpg

It's funny, I bought that coin raw in 1998 as an MS64 and paid MS64 money for it but then sent it to Bruce as an MS63. makepoint.gif

Because... you like him? You carried it around in your pocket for 6 years? What reason? Inquiring minds want to know.

wink.gif

Jonathan 27_laughing.gif

It's funny, I bought that coin raw in 1998 as an MS64 and paid MS64 money for it but then sent it to Bruce as an MS63. makepoint.gif

Because... you like him? You carried it around in your pocket for 6 years? What reason? Inquiring minds want to know.

wink.gif

Jonathan 27_laughing.gif

This is part of a pretty complete set of quarters that Tom recently sent me. They are all very stunning... Once I get the set assembled in the Capitol plastics holder... I will get some pics up

That's an excellent question and I think I might even have an answer that makes sense.

From 1994-2002 I worked fairly thoroughly on building a high grade, blast white, original, raw, silver MS Washington quarter set. The set was nearly complete when I put it to the side in 2002. Over the last three years I haven't searched Washingtons as I had previously, and I wondered if I would ever be so patient again with obtaining coins for the set.

Also, my wife and I have a 21-month old little girl and my wife is due to deliver another little girl next month. Because of this I have tried to offset my coin purchases with sales from my collection. At this time I have sold everything that was less painful to sell so the only coins left to part with are all coins I was hoping to keep. For about two years now I have been wrestling with myself as to selling this set that I worked so hard to build or to keep it.

Finally, I had the chance to buy a terrific 1802 half dollar. This is the coin that I posted in a thread recently, it is not the dipped POS that the thread was started about. Rather, the image of the coin occurs much later in the thread. Anyway, something had to go because those 1802 halves do not come cheap. Since I knew Bruce was working on a quality Washington set, and since we had done some business before, I offered the majority of the set to him in a private deal.

The reason I carried this coin as an MS63 in my set, even though I bought it as an MS64 and for MS64 money and even though two other, experienced dealers in Washington quarters believe it is an MS64, is because that if compared to the rest of the set this coin is not the equal of the others. A good many coins are flashy MS66 and some might even go MS67 if submitted to a TPG. Others are solid MS65 and a few are nice MS64 pieces. In my opinion, I believed that the way I graded the higher MS pieces dictated that the grade on this coin be lowered to MS63. Does that make any sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyway, that is why, in a long-winded answer, I carried the coin as an MS63 and sent it to Bruce as such. smile.gif

Thanks for the explanation. I see your point. Adding children to the mix can limit one's coin budget. So, he got lucky and got an MS-64 Washington for MS-63 money. I'd like buying from you too, if you have anything I can afford. I am kind of in the beginning of my coin purchasing lifetime. I collected in Whitman albums for several years as a youngster and have only recently started buying "real" coins.

Jonathan

Thanks for the explanation. I see your point. Adding children to the mix can limit one's coin budget. So, he got lucky and got an MS-64 Washington for MS-63 money. I'd like buying from you too, if you have anything I can afford. I am kind of in the beginning of my coin purchasing lifetime. I collected in Whitman albums for several years as a youngster and have only recently started buying "real" coins.

Jonathan

All coins are real coins... even if you pulled them from circulation.. Just because you did not pay X dollars for your coins does not make them any less to you. Collect what you like and collect for yourself... and the rest is trivial!