• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Capped Bust Half Dime with WOW! toning...Guess the grade-revealed!

15 posts in this topic

Sorry,I forgot to post the grade before the time period for editing expired

The coin:

RSCN2696.JPG

RSCN2698.JPG

The grade: NGC AU-58

Chris and jtryka,way to go! thumbsup2.gif

I do agree that these are hard to grade,but I don't know where those XF-40's came from 893whatthe.gif Check out this PCGS XF-40 and compare: Link

Note the diffrence in wear on the headress and hair... grin.gif

-Hayden

Still looks like an XF40 to me, Hayden, but tell me, what does the grade have to do with how wonderful the coin is? It's a very desirable beauty! angel.gif

Hoot

I'm going to ttt this just so people can take a look. Nice coin for sure!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,not to many people responded to this thread before,so hopefully more will take a look now.This is probably my favorite coin in my Capped Bust Half Dime set,but the coin that was replaced by this one was quite a wonder in its self:

DSCN2977.JPG

Sold on eBay for $283.25...

-Hayden

DSCN2977.JPG

Sold on eBay for $283.25...

-Hayden

Even better! hail.gif

And I need one for my type set.... grin.gif

Yes, it was a tough decision of which one to keep and which one to ditch,and I put it off for quite a while.However I like the look of the NGC coin a little more,couldn't quite explain why though... James,I'm not looking to sell any of my Bust half dimes in the near future,but if/when I do I'll be sure to offer this one to you. grin.gif

So Victor,what grade are you looking for? I think you had told me a higher grade which is why I haven't found you any yet.However if you're looking more for color,I've seen several very attractively toned 1835's in AU-55/58 that I passed because I already had two at the time.Let me know and I'll keep my eye out devil.gif

-Hayden

re: very attractively toned 1835's in AU-55/58 (but the dime!).

That would be exactly up my alley, Tubster. thumbsup2.gif (with the 1835 date)

i love the au 58 capped bust half dime

keep that one

the anx coin is dipped blast white

then secondary retoned

then someone put the coin in an oven

with heat to heavily enhance that blue color

it is a no brainer AT enhanced coin

keep that one

then secondary retoned

Yep, what he said. Can't believed that that AT job fooled me. foreheadslap.gif

Even though the AU58 is overgraded, it is an original coin. This is why I never have liked ANACS. They let too many squirrelly coins by. This is why NGC and PCGS are so invaluable: to screen out the .

I certainly don't always agree with their grading but they seldom let AT coins slip by!

keep that one

then secondary retoned

Yep, what he said. Can't believed that that AT job fooled me. foreheadslap.gif

Even though the AU58 is overgraded, it is an original coin. This is why I never have liked ANACS. They let too many squirrelly coins by. This is why NGC and PCGS are so invaluable: to screen out the .

I certainly don't always agree with their grading but they seldom let AT coins slip by!

This coin was BB'd by NGC for improper cleaning...

This coin was BB'd by NGC for improper cleaning...

That's just what happened to this half dime of mine. confused.gif

1837-half-dime.jpg

I can tell,check out the toning around the stars...it has the same appearence as my blue toner... It probaly was cleaned way back in the day an then retoned naturally,so it's not really AT.Sometimes the TPGs will certify these,other times they'll BB them and as you can see from my blue'35 NGC BB'd and ANACS slabbed.

Might I ask if that Half Dime is for sale? I love the look and toning... grin.gif