• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newps from a 1961 Proof Set.....no cameo's just Toners!!!

7 posts in this topic

Just back from NGC.....bought an opened 61 proof set off Ebay that looked to have a few toners in it. Set them off to NGC and they promptly came back body bagged. I contacted NGC to let them know that I wanted to have the coins reviewed again since I personally cut them out of the proof set myself and they graded them free of charge the second time through.......

They may not be monsters, but the Burgundy wine colors are rich and unique so I think they are great additions to my toned coin collection!!! :1Applause;

1961obv.jpg

1961rev.jpg

1961qtrobv.jpg

1961qtrrev.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Shane, did they give you any reason for the initial rejection? AT?

What would you have done if NGC hadn't believed you when you told them that you cracked the set?

Isn't it possible that a Mint-issued set could be altered before submission?

This makes me wonder.....................

Is it possible to submit a complete, Mint-issued set when you only want one or two coins from the set graded?

Would NGC return the other coins without grading them?

Wouldn't this be the prudent thing to do to avoid the possibility of getting a body bag?

Chris

What would you have done if NGC hadn't believed you when you told them that you cracked the set?

This makes me wonder.....................

Is it possible to submit a complete, Mint-issued set when you only want one or two coins from the set graded?

Wouldn't this be the prudent thing to do to avoid the possibility of getting a body bag?

Chris

Chris,I feel some devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif coming one. Maybe I could tell them that proof Barber dime that they just body bagged came from a set I just cut up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course every one knows Shane gets preferential treatment from NGC poke2.gif....

-Hayden

BTW sweet toners,Shane! 893applaud-thumb.gif Originality at it's best...

Wow your gas bills must be high poke2.gif

Anyway those are really sweet coin ( note to self get Shanes ebay account password to know what he is bidding on) devil.gif . Really though I see no way to be sure a proof coin is NT. The second you say bring it in this and it is real the con artists will come up with a way to beat the system. In the end every toned coin has to be decided on it's own merit not some packaging. Fortunately some are no brainers. However sometimes you have to go with your gut instinct. Couple that with having to decide quickly makes it impossible. We always say but the coin not the holder because the holder can't keep you safe so how can some flimsy pliofilm protect you from AT coins 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Remeber folks grade the coin not the packagaing grin.gif

Yes Art Toning was the reason they bagged the coins

It really didn't matter if they believed me or not....I simply asked them to take another look and give me their opinion....and at a second glance, they felt the coins were indeed NT as I suggested. grin.gif

I would say absolutely...in this case the packing was starting to severly degrade, which I have found to be quite common with 60's proof sets and the process of the deteriation and the outgassing that occurs etc can bring about some really beautiful and intense toning!!!

I don't think so which is why I only sent in two coins from the set.

I would really have to ask them as I don't know their policy on this one

The coin should be judged on it's own merit and not the packaging in my opinion, which is exactly what they did both times. I have 0 pull with NGC.....I have submitted a total of about 30 coins in the past 5 years so I am not a big enough player to even think about trying to convince them to find in my favor were that even possible thumbsup2.gif

Yes Art Toning was the reason they bagged the coins

It really didn't matter if they believed me or not....I simply asked them to take another look and give me their opinion....and at a second glance, they felt the coins were indeed NT as I suggested. grin.gif

I would say absolutely...in this case the packing was starting to severly degrade, which I have found to be quite common with 60's proof sets and the process of the deteriation and the outgassing that occurs etc can bring about some really beautiful and intense toning!!!

I don't think so which is why I only sent in two coins from the set.

I would really have to ask them as I don't know their policy on this one

The coin should be judged on it's own merit and not the packaging in my opinion, which is exactly what they did both times. I have 0 pull with NGC.....I have submitted a total of about 30 coins in the past 5 years so I am not a big enough player to even think about trying to convince them to find in my favor were that even possible thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Shane! I agree that a coin should be judged on its own merit, but I'm still concerned about the unnecessary expense (postage & insurance) you would incur for the resubmission. Personally, I would prefer to leave nothing to chance by "covering all the bases" at the outset.

By the way, NICE COINS! See you at F.U.N.!

Chris