• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Just Purchased 2005 P&D Bison's in MS66 NGC (Business Strikes). How did I do?

18 posts in this topic

I am putting together a small set of 2003-2006 Nickels, with proofs, just cause I think the change back and forth is interesting. So I saw on Ebay that someone was selling Bison P & D in MS66 (business strike) from NGC. I pulled the trigger and did the BIN because it was well withing my price range.

Any opinions or thoughts on what would be a reasonable price for a P & D Bison in MS66 (not Satin Finish). I will reveal what I paid after I get a few responses.

I like some of these new coins...especially the 2005 set with the CA quarter and the nickels you mention. I'm probably going to get these RAW so I can't accruately give you a price on a slabbed piece.

I have a question though: Anyone know what the design of the nickel will be in 2006? Are they going back to the crappy original? If so, it's a shame....after improving it so much with this latest design going back to that dullard crapp will be a let down. frown.gif

jom

According to the Mint, Engraver John Mercanti has "sharpened" up the design to "better" represent the original 1938 design. Now what this means is open to speculation.

According to the Mint, Engraver John Mercanti has "sharpened" up the design to "better" represent the original 1938 design. Now what this means is open to speculation.

The models displayed at ANA were quite an improvement over the overly detailed reverses put out from 1971-2003. I think the re-done Monticello will be a vast improvement over anything seen since the 1940s. But I'm with you thinking that the design is long overdue a change.

As for TerrapinWill's original inquiry, I would think a reasonable BIN price on an MS66 brilliant 2005 bison piece would be in the realm of 40 bucks.

Hoot

I paid $45 + 5 S/h/i for a P& D each in MS66 NGC. I think I did OK

I paid about the same for MS69's, PCGS.

Just for a price comparison. Mind you, I bought them shortly after they came out. Prices may have gone up since then?

Jonathan

These are not Satin Finish Coins.....these are regular business strikes in MS66. there is no way you paid the same for PCGS MS69 Business strikes. I dont even know if there has been a business strike make MS69 at PCGS.

Again, the coins I am speaking of are regular business strikes, and NOT satin finish coins (which are grading much higher.)

I don't think you did too badly at all considering. I'm a big gem modern fan and I can tell you that between postage and insurance to and from, and grading fees, each of those coins would cost about $15-16 to slab. That $32 just for service. So you paid live $13 for the two coins. Not bad!! thumbsup2.gif

I figure that Business strikes in MS66 are not going to be "all over the place". I hear many people say that NGC is loose with the grades on these moderns, but I figure that to get a P & D in MS66, after hearing numerous people complain about the quality of the business strike Bisons.....I'm pretty happy. I was just hoping people with more knowledge (everyone) might lend their opinon.

These are not Satin Finish Coins.....these are regular business strikes in MS66. there is no way you paid the same for PCGS MS69 Business strikes. I dont even know if there has been a business strike make MS69 at PCGS.

Again, the coins I am speaking of are regular business strikes, and NOT satin finish coins (which are grading much higher.)

I am sorry. I believe mine are PR69, not MS69. I'll get them out tonight and make certain.

Jonathan

No need for sorry. in fact reading what I wrote now I sound like a real tool. I just didnt want any confusion between SF and Business Strike Coins. I also bought the proof's of Bison and Ocean in View...I paid $32 for the pair in PR69DCAM, when I was still member at PCGS forum.

I don't know how many 67's and 68's will be out there, but $45 for a pair of NGC MS66's seems like a safe bet.

I checked the Pop reports of NGC and no 67's have been graded in P with 200 coins graded . Only one 67 in D with almost 400 coins graded. these Bisons have been out for a while, and only one 67 so far????

I don't think you did too badly at all considering. I'm a big gem modern fan and I can tell you that between postage and insurance to and from, and grading fees, each of those coins would cost about $15-16 to slab. That $32 just for service. So you paid live $13 for the two coins. Not bad!! thumbsup2.gif

Hmmmmm...interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going to hit eBay this weekend buying up certified coins selling for less than slabbing fees. Ooh...the profit insane.gif

tongue.gif

No need for sorry. in fact reading what I wrote now I sound like a real tool. I just didnt want any confusion between SF and Business Strike Coins. I also bought the proof's of Bison and Ocean in View...I paid $32 for the pair in PR69DCAM, when I was still member at PCGS forum.

I don't know how many 67's and 68's will be out there, but $45 for a pair of NGC MS66's seems like a safe bet.

I checked the Pop reports of NGC and no 67's have been graded in P with 200 coins graded . Only one 67 in D with almost 400 coins graded. these Bisons have been out for a while, and only one 67 so far????

I believe that. I went through 20 rolls each of P & D and never found anything that was not all beat up to heck. These were just not really good strikes nor were they taken care of. The design, with large fields, leads to many scratches. I could not find a single coin I thought was more than MS64. Too much cheek to be scratched.

Thanks for your reply. (You didn't sound like a tool... I sounded like a dolt!)

Jonathan