• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

German Mint blown up

3 posts in this topic

This was a tale from a patient of mine last week. Said that he had a German coin retrieved by a soldier who recovered it in 1945 Germany, I presume. Hitler died in April, I believe. So, what's the scoop? Were there nazi coins minted but never released but a few were collected by us troops at the time of the explosion and the rest were melted, thereby making this a scarce issue? Don't recall the denomination, though. Any info? Sounds like an interesting story to me.

There were several millions of the zinc Nazi 1 and 10 pfennig coins minted at the Berlin (A) and Muldenhutten (E) (south of Leipzig?) mints dated 1945. Some of the similar Allied occupation coins through 1948 are worth more though.

You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

Thanks, Brad. thumbsup2.gif You know how everyone thinks that their coin is worth beaucoup bucks. He said that it was a rare, $10K coin. He didn't try to hussle me, just stated the facts as he knew them to be is all.