• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1930-1940s proof, good deal or over priced?

2 posts in this topic

Thinking about buying some especially the cents and nickels since they cost less. I like how they have low mintages! Are they over priced or a sleeper? I also think the cents might get a boost when they change the design in the future. What about 1950-52 proof coins, are they over priced or a good deal relative to their mintage? Any advice is appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Andy

The 1936-1942 proofs were a good deal 5 years ago. I bought 2 PF65 mercury dimes for $125 each then. Just 2 years later they were going for $330. All of the proofs from this era had similar huge price jumps. Now they have come down some. They were just too hot and promoted too hard.

I do like these proofs much better than the modern proof sets. Some of those newer sets like the 1999 silver have high prices and high mintages. I don't see how the prices can maintain today's levels with the large supply. The older proofs have tiny mintages in comparison.

The cents and the Jefferson nickels will always be cheaper since they are much more available and the proofs were continued from 1950 to the present. The only way to get a proof walker of Mercury dime is to buy one of these older ones 1936-1942.