• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A very long review of my ANA experience

23 posts in this topic

I arrived back only late yesterday from a 1200 mile return drive home from ANA. I spent the day today catching up from a long absence from work, and still trying to let the time at ANA soak in.

For me, the show was made by the people whom I met, the meetings with old friends, the events that I participated in, the displays I saw, and the new challenges of learning all that I have newly engaged in this hobby. What follows are a few of the highlights.

Greg, Truth and others have commented on the show and the availability of nice material, etc., so I’ll confine my comments on those matters to a few observations on the series I paid most attention to. I looked primarily for raw buffalo nickels – MS and circs, both -, early half cents and cents, particularly from 1793 to 1804, and early dollars (yes, it’s true), from 1795 to 1803.

Most buffalo nickels were overgraded. This made it a particular challenge to find nice material that was price worthy. I looked at countless key date circs (1913-S, 20-S, 21-S, 24-S, 26-S) and bought none. I found a complete dearth of 18-Ss and 19-Ss. These were typically bumped to the next highest grade category, which always made a BIG difference in price. So, I passed. As for MS coins, the grades were all over the place, but often 1 to 3 points over the actual grade. Eye appealing pieces were quite rare. I only bought two – a 1916 and a 34 that were undergraded by a point, the 16 by possibly 2 points. They were both gems marked as 64s. I felt happy to snag them.

My wife joined me for Wed and Thurs of the show and had great success with the purchase of an 1801 dollar graded VF25 by PCGS. We found the piece with Wayne Herndon who was a terrific help and a superb gentleman. He had some great stuff – some of the best I saw at the show. I must have looked at around 150 other dollars in the dates mentioned, and saw nothing close to the fantastic and eye appealing piece that we purchased from Wayne. Most early dollars were in rough shape, cleaned harshly, or conversely, in a higher state of preservation than I can afford. All were priced high, reflecting a strong market in that sector. Dealers held them tightly and did not want to relent on price very much.

As for large cents and half cents, I spent most of my “coin time” with this group of fantastic coins. Finding fantastic pieces was, however, exceedingly tough. Most dealers overgrade them, either by market or EAC standards, by several grade categories. They also are quite variable in how they price the coins, and there is wild variation, especially in combination with grades. It’s a brutal segment of the market. Demand is VERY high. All copper dealers I spoke with had a very good show and no slowness of business. And getting time with them proved their point – it was tough. I looked at many hundreds of pieces and did my best to get used to the grading standards that were being used. It was easy to make mistakes, so I erred on the side of caution. I bought only two pieces, even considering the junk boxes I looked through. I picked up an 1804 cent, S-266c, with F12 details and G04 net, Scudzy. Why buy such a piece?, well I’ll tell you when all is done with this coin. For now, all I’m going to say is that it had fabulous potential. Dave Lange looked at it and was fairly impressed. It was also relatively affordable, which is a very rare quality for an 1804 cent. The other piece I bought was a 1794 head of ’93 Liberty cap cent, G04 details, AG03 net, Average. Superb coin, with a bit of porosity, but a very nice planchet, deep brown, and lots of meat for such a worn (and typically weakly struck) piece. A rather rare and difficult beastie to lay one’s hands on. I’m quite pleased. I also looked at half cents, but less diligently, and purchased none. Just prior to the show, I purchased a nice 1804 C-13 half cent, EF40 details, VF30 net, Average. A great little piece. That satisfies me for the time being.

I spent a lot of time with Doug Bird, who, along with Steve Carr, taught the EAC (Early American Coppers) course at ANA this summer. He was extremely helpful to me throughout the show. I had many questions for him about coppers, and he was always willing to answer. I learned a great deal about the various forms of grading and pricing in the copper market. It’s a dog eat dog sector, and one where the tuition for learning is paid with patience, diligence and willingness to make mistakes. Doug is a great resource and everyone should visit him at shows when seeking excellent copper coinage.

I looked a bit at circulated Barber coinage. My favorite time was looking through a junk box that was exclusively Barber pieces. I picked out three halves, five quarters, and one dime, all problem-free AG03 to G06 material for 10x face! I felt like I had hit the jackpot. Otherwise, I picked up a 1907 half in VF25 and a 1913 in VF20 for excellent prices. I saw many other pieces in the grade range I like (F15 to EF40) – some key dates – but all looking formerly abused, cleaned, etc. Nothing that turned my crank.

I also had a bit of a glance at some nice darkside material. I asked Greg Margulies over to have a gander, and he expertly went through and selected out a few nice pieces, with the aid of his knowledge of the market in that material. He’s choosey and astute. Greg is also a fine person and a superb collector. I enjoyed meeting him and his significant other immeasurably. Two exceptionally fine people. Despite Greg’s Evil™ persona, the world is better off with him hanging around. He is quite intelligent, as is his SO, and keenly observant about nearly all matters. A rare treat to converse with Greg &c.

I met only a few other board members, all via Greg. I met Cameron, and can only shake my head at how bad his back problems will be when he’s older, after hunching over coins for these tender years of his life. He’s very tall and very young. Too young and too well dressed to own a Mustang. I also met Toyonakataro, who came all the way from Japan to be ill in the U.S. from jetlag. Very kind fellow, and a true devotee of half dimes, one of which he had that was simply gorgeous.

I spent a fair bit of time with the folks at NGC, including going to the luncheon. Dave Lange answered quite a few questions for me and was great to converse with. Dave is very friendly and knowledgeable, to say the least, and extremely dedicated numismatist. The gift of his latest work, History of the United States Mint and its Coinage, was an amazing treat. This book is a gift to the modern numismatic world, and should be read by all. (BTW, all proceeds are going to the ANA as his personal gift, and the cost of the hardback book is but $20.) I met Dena, who is a deeply kind, intelligent and integral human being. I enjoyed her presence very much. Dena has done more for NGC than one could possibly know, it’s evident, but she has made welcome the collectors of these boards, and I greatly appreciate all she has done. Arch was there showing off all that he has created for these boards – which is stunning. He is a fabulous person; bright and affectuous in his realm. I very much enjoyed lengthy conversations with him. I also met Scott Schechter. Scott is firmly in his element at NGC and is a fabulous voice for the company. He is personable and easy to talk to, even about controversial subjects. I had a blast conversing with him, especially after the luncheon. It was a very deep pleasure to meet Mark Salzberg. His attention is penetrating, which is a quality of presence that is rare in a person. This requires integrity, which he evidently possesses in near excess. I am quite impressed with what he is giving back to this hobby by making available a critical slice of the National Collection at the Smithsonian. What rare gifts he and his company are offering. Impressive.

Other NGC folks I had less time with were Danielle and Maggie. They are great people who are always helpful, but very busy at the shows. This show was quite fast-paced for them. Over the years here, Danielle has been of terrific help to me and is always a joy to speak with. Also, I met Dave Camire only briefly. He looked at a new purchase for me from Pinnacle and Christine Monk, a 1936 brilliant proof buffalo. His advice on the coin, which had some minor field distractions, was excellent. His analysis of the coin was nothing short of superb, coming from an obvious depth of experience. I was grateful. (And the coin is lovely – thanks Christine.)

I met with Beth Deisher of Coin World/Coin Values who is always a joy. She is busier than most humans with enormous demands on her time, but takes the time to talk, brew up new ideas, and laugh. This hobby is greatly served by her tireless work.

I also spent an hour speaking with John Mercanti of the Mint. His perspective on coinage and art in a modern world of high engineering demand was quite fascinating. A very pleasant person with a HUGE knowledge of coinage and history. Very personable and invitational to visitors to the U.S. Mint displays/shop. He was signing autographs on the new Marshall dollar sets. He also raffled away (for free) two original Ben Franklin sculptures that he had made specifically for the show. Drats! I didn’t win!

The Mint had quite a display on the Jefferson nickel. I am disappointed in their 2006 reverse design choice, but at least they are returning to Schlag’s initial concept for the full-view elevational model implemented in 1938. None of the frilly crapola on Monticello. I hope they choose a completely new Jefferson obverse. Anyhow, in the display, they had great records showcased. Stuff I thought had been thrown out of the Mint records. It was an excellent display that I did not get enough time with.

I spent ample time with Darrel Crane and Dave Andreas of the Jefferson Full Step Nickel Club. They ran a YN treasure hunt for Jefferson nickels of 1962-95. The club donated nickels and albums, and Darrell and Dave donated TONS of time. They got a lot of youngsters going with enthusiastic collecting from circulation.

I’m sure I’m in danger of exceeding all reasonable limits for a post. However, there’s just so much to say! All-in-all, the show was great, and the people made it so. There’s more to tell, but I’ll have to wait until the time and place avails.

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Thanks, Hoot, for the kind words. You're a pleasure to chat with and are always welcome at the NGC table.

I do want to clarify one thing you said about my Mint history book. While I donated my labor to the ANA and will not be making any money from the book, it is nonetheless a commercial publication put out by Whitman. I imagine the proceeds will be split between those two parties, but in what ratio I don't know. The best thing for collectors is that the cost of the book is thus quite low for an illustrated, hardcover book.

Also released during the ANA show was my revised edition of The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes. It arrived without fanfare but was available for purchase at the onsite supply dealership and at the ANA booth. I expect that ads for it will be appearing soon in various publications. I do get paid for this one. smile.gif

The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes.

Dave, can I get an autographed copy of this? Just tell me how much and where to send the money. Pay Pal or money order?

Chris

Excellant report Mark!!!

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to post a pic of the 1916 or 1934 Buff and explain why you think these coins are undergraded. I certainly dont doubt your expertise in this matter, just trying to gleam a pointer or two for my own cherrypicking. grin.gif

Also released during the ANA show was my revised edition of The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes.

Yay! It's about time! laugh.gif

Nice report Hoot...except for the inaccurate portrayal of Greg. He really is devil.gif so you were duped. Sucker....

jom

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

To cpm9ball,

I don't sell my books, but I suspect that both of the new titles may be turning up as signed NumismaQuest prizes in the next few weeks, so everyone put on their thinking caps.

I see you're in South Florida, so if you don't get your copy signed before then you can certainly bring it to the FUN show in January. I'm always there.

Not long enough! A very enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to the second chapter. thumbsup2.gif It reminds me of the book On the Road. So, for those of you who know him, is Hoot more like Theodore Kaczynski (as previously alleged) or Jack Kerouac? grin.gif

Thanks, Hoot.

Thanks for the show insights, Hoot. Since I never get to these shows to meet these interesting and nice people, it is helpful to read your insights. One of these days, I will get to another ANA Show. Maybe in Denver!

Excellent report Hoot!

Your comments on searching for circulated Buffalo Nickels is the norm, almost everywhere. Very tough to find properly graded examples, mint state as well.

and then looking for raw early copper.........you're a brave soul!

Pic's of those buffalo's is required, when you have time. smile.gif

A great report on the show Hoot.

Living the experience thru others is probably the only way I will get to attend the ANA.

Keep 'em coming. I love reading all about them.

-------------

etexmike

Thanks for the report Hoot. Too bad I didn't meet you there. I was at the NGC lunch but only until 12:30. Than I had to make a flight to Texas for my science meetings.

I saw your 1801 VF dollar you bought from Wayne H. It seemed to have nice toning if I remember right.

He is quite intelligent, as is his SO, and keenly observant about nearly all matters. A rare treat to converse with Greg &c.

Hoot - I didn't think Jammin' was at the show... wink.gif

As for the length of your post, remember that the cliche is NOT "prolixity is the soul of wit"... tongue.gif

EVP

I enjoyed visting with both of you and glad to hear your wife is happy with her new dollar. It is a fascinating series and hopefully she'll get an early dollar book and study up.

WH

Hoot, as always, this was a very well thought out, well-written and educational post.

Perhaps you can educate me a bit concerning Classic Head Large Cents from 1808-1814:

1) Is there such a thing as a circulated example w/o pitting & porosity?

2) Are they always very darkly toned as from recovered buried coins?

3) Did you see any decent example at the show with any eye-appeal at all?

4) Have you ever seen a nice example besides the mint state mega-bucks examples?

5) In order to satisfy my type collection, what is the best that I could hope for for a $2,000 or less purchase?

6) What are the odds of getting a nice coin in the VF-AU range?

7) Which dealer/individual would you recommend to me to make the acquisiton?

8) And, I assume that these are all overgraded, too, as mentioned in your post?

Thanks far any and all advice, Hoot! As always, my respect out to you!

I also had a bit of a glance at some nice darkside material. I asked Greg Margulies over to have a gander, and he expertly went through and selected out a few nice pieces, with the aid of his knowledge of the market in that material. He’s choosey and astute. Greg is also a fine person and a superb collector. I enjoyed meeting him and his significant other immeasurably. Two exceptionally fine people. Despite Greg’s Evil™ persona, the world is better off with him hanging around. He is quite intelligent, as is his SO, and keenly observant about nearly all matters. A rare treat to converse with Greg &c.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I am disappointed in their 2006 reverse design choice, but at least they are returning to Schlag’s initial concept for the full-view elevational model implemented in 1938.

What a crock! Just who the heck wants to keep on collecting FS nickels? Did this

Mercanti guy look like he was all there? Unbelieveable! I think a lot of collectors wanted to see Schlag's original works on the new nickel! What are these people (the US Mint) thinking? We have been looking at this reverse design for 70+ years and it's not going to change? MAN! This can't be happening?

Oh, by the way...........nice follow-up Hoot! I enjoyed it very much!

Regards, Leo

I am disappointed in their 2006 reverse design choice, but at least they are returning to Schlag’s initial concept for the full-view elevational model implemented in 1938.

What a crock! Just who the heck wants to keep on collecting FS nickels? Did this

Mercanti guy look like he was all there? Unbelieveable! I think a lot of collectors wanted to see Schlag's original works on the new nickel! What are these people (the US Mint) thinking? We have been looking at this reverse design for 70+ years and it's not going to change? MAN! This can't be happening?

Oh, by the way...........nice follow-up Hoot! I enjoyed it very much!

Regards, Leo

I find the lack of originality incredible but what do we expect out of gov't beauracracy?! But I guess that it is best to use a proven design instead of selecting a mediocre new design... confused-smiley-013.gif

Too bad that they didn't use Schlag's original Monticello reverse. If they did then the 2002 Full Step Nickel Club's satin and proof nickels which they minted with Feliz Schlag's original design concept would have appreciated big-time.

Still, Hoot, I love the two specially minted nickels which I got from you and I think that the even number of 700 is just a bonus. Thanks again for the transaction!! I'm sure that most board members will say that you're a very positive person and an honor to know.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif