• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norse American Medal Thin

19 posts in this topic

Norse American Medal Thin

These were once extremely popular with the old-time classic commem collectors and were once included in their collection but are now nearly forgotten.

There were c. 6000 thin plachet medals produced versus nearly 36,000 thick medals. They are encountered only c. a tenth as often as the thick.

Any comments?

Any comments?

Only that there appears to be even more out there that I know nothing about. I do know, however, that an octagon doesn't fit snugly into a circle. grin.gif

Any comments?

Only that there appears to be even more out there that I know nothing about. I do know, however, that an octagon doesn't fit snugly into a circle. grin.gif

Yeah, kind of like a square peg in a round hole? tongue.gif

That's why I made a keychain out of my Pan-Pac $50 gold octagonal slug. Yep, drilled a hole right through that sucker. You believe me, right? poke2.gif

That's why I made a keychain out of my Pan-Pac $50 gold octagonal slug. Yep, drilled a hole right through that sucker. You believe me, right?

Why would you do that when it'd look so pretty dangling from a chain around your neck? (BTW, why did you give Travis an opportunity to make an avatar out of your nasty bananas poke2.gif)

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I haven't heard anything about it but, in the wit dept, he dropped the ball with Caleb's photo.

But, hey, we're getting off topic here. sign-offtopic.gifmakepoint.gif

wink.gif

Seriously, I'm excited about this medal.

I remember five or six years ago, the market for norse medals was $50 for BU thicks, and $100 for BU thins. As soon as NGC and PCGS started graded these medals, the market took off as they were promoted. Same with HK medals. While not being very "rare", the thins are scarce when not abused. The thicks are very common, and overrated pricewise. PCGS65 thicks are priced at $500 and thins at $800, which is unrealistic. Meanwhile NGC64 thicks are about $250 and thins are $400. Commem medals are cool, but not rare, unless you have a special medal.

TRUTH

I will say that it's an attractive coin -- the design is captivating -- and I'm excited for you. I wish I could contribute more . . . Is it possible for you to give a little lesson on the coin and its significance to your collection?

I think it's a great looking piece and you got it for a nice price. I think the seller would have done better to list it with the classic commems, but then you wouldn't have gotten as good a deal.

Sure you can say these aren't rare. Some of the same people will tell you that a 1893-S Morgan is rare. A lot more of these may have survived in high grade but there surely aren't more of them around than the Morgans. Now if you are talking demand and price, that's a different story. Why anyone would rather have a worn out Morgan instead of an MS piece with a viking on it is beyond me. screwy.gif

Congrats, Victor! I know how much you wanted it!

Chris

sign-offtopic.gif

PS. I received the '77 ANA - Atlanta Set. You were right! It is very, very pretty. The silver is PL! Thank you for the birthday gift! thumbsup2.gif Now, all I need is the '78, '81 & '82 sets to complete the 3-medal series. poke2.gifAnybody? poke2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I haven't heard anything about it but, in the wit dept, he dropped the ball with Caleb's photo. Lucky for you,but unlucky for me.He seems to think he's Hayden Jr.! frustrated.gifscrewy.gifyeahok.giftongue.gif

But, hey, we're getting off topic here. sign-offtopic.gifmakepoint.gif

wink.gif

Seriously, I'm excited about this medal. Yes,it's definately an interesting piece.Make sure you post some nice big pics of it when you get it... poke2.gif

Thanks for posting the market price, truth.

The mintage for the thick was actually 34,750 struck on various days in May of 1925 with 6000 of the thins struck over three separate days in May. They sold for just over a buck apiece at the time. There were also golds struck at the time which bring a pretty penny today. However, many were whizzed and acid treated to simulate the original matte finish. These bring a substantially reduced price.

These medals are no longer as popular as they once were. As I already mentioned, they were once collected with the rest of the classic commems by the collectors of yesteryear. They have faded from memory in the past 20 years but will problably see an upsurgence with the popularity of so called dollars and medals increasing with the new found exposure on e-bay.

I feel that three bills for this nice ms 64 is a great deal, and, as mentioned, would have probably brought more in the commemorative section.

p.s. Just spent the day in Goldfield, NV. This is a very historic city which is celebrating its centennial this year. I spent the afternoon with my daughter and a 75 year old guy named Svein "Slim" Sirnes. He is well-known as an "art car" person and also crafts many items out of aluminum cans. He first cuts them into strips and weaves them and makes any number of items. I got my daughter a cool purse made from pepsi cans. Interesting afternoon, to say the least. He also showed me a collection of "stuff" which he's found on the ground just walking along. Lots of old tokens, some buffs, V-nickels, Barber dime and quarter. Belt buckles, pocket watch, buttons and catholic pendants. Pretty cool stuff.

p.s. Just spent the day in Goldfield, NV. This is a very historic city which is celebrating its centennial this year. I spent the afternoon with my daughter and a 75 year old guy named Svein "Slim" Sirnes. He is well-known as an "art car" person and also crafts many items out of aluminum cans. He first cuts them into strips and weaves them and makes any number of items. I got my daughter a cool purse made from pepsi cans. Interesting afternoon, to say the least. He also showed me a collection of "stuff" which he's found on the ground just walking along. Lots of old tokens, some buffs, V-nickels, Barber dime and quarter. Belt buckles, pocket watch, buttons and catholic pendants. Pretty cool stuff.

I visited Goldfield about 7 years ago with my kids. They have an historic area which was in disrepair. The county courthouse was still in operation. In fact, we got to sit in on a trial for about 20 minutes. There was a group of three adults who were being prosecuted for public drunkeness. The were acquitted and left the courthouse very happy. But they looked guilty. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I remember five or six years ago, the market for norse medals was $50 for BU thicks, and $100 for BU thins. As soon as NGC and PCGS started graded these medals, the market took off as they were promoted. Same with HK medals. While not being very "rare", the thins are scarce when not abused. The thicks are very common, and overrated pricewise. PCGS65 thicks are priced at $500 and thins at $800, which is unrealistic. Meanwhile NGC64 thicks are about $250 and thins are $400. Commem medals are cool, but not rare, unless you have a special medal.

TRUTH

I hope you don't mind, Truth, but I quoted you on my registry description:

http://www.collectors-society.com/regist...opleSetID=20251

Thanks, amigo!

That's a great medal, thanks for posting the link. I just bought one, haven't recieved it yet, from Anaconda, an MS63. Hope it looks as good as I believe it to be. Will post it when I get it.

Michael

That's a great medal, thanks for posting the link. I just bought one, haven't recieved it yet, from Anaconda, an MS63. Hope it looks as good as I believe it to be. Will post it when I get it.

Michael

This was an old ebay link so the photo had disappeared already. Too bad, because it was better than mine. This is a great medal with lots of history. Great buy, Mike! yay.gif

I debated and debated buying this coin and since I couldn't stop thinking about it I went ahead and bought it from Anaconda's site. It's an MS63 but I fell in love with the toning and gave it to my partner who is of this ancestry as a gift. I thought you'd like to see it. Really nice in hand. There's a little plastic glare down right because of my photography.

1160660-norseobv3.jpg

1160665-norserev3.jpg

Mike, I like it alot!! I really appreciate you sharing. I love this medal. Its design, designer and history is fascinating to me. It is a great mate with the Leif Erickson modern dollar commem as well.

Great buy, great color and great images! thumbsup2.gif

What a lot of modern collectors forget is that until the 1930s, the emphasis in colin collecting was on medals not circulating coins or commemoratives. For the artists who designed the pieces, a medal was much more of an artistic venue than a "mere" coin. Try to imagine the excellent Norse-American medal pictured above as a coin with all the required inscriptions.