• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In grading Bust Dollars......

8 posts in this topic

do the graders take into account the die state?

I'm not a huge bust dollar submitter, but was curious if the die state is taken into account when figuring the given grade. smile.gif

If I can tweak some photos, I'll see if I can attach them here. My Mac, and this board have issues........

My opinion? ANACS graders do the most accurate job of grading Bust coins when factoring in die issues.

Of the credible services, PCGS is probably the worst.

EVP

I have an interesting 1798 bust dollar BB-125, die state 4 (easy to attribute), with an old ANACS certificate with a grade of F/12. Looking at the coin, it looks vg, with some unusual wear patterns.

I had forgotten what grade you had thought it was... When I looked at the pic, "F" immediately jumped out at me. In fact, I was wondering if Fine was maybe a little bit too high...

EVP

It was graded f/12 on the anacs certificate, and probably properly graded. The factors with the die state make it a lowly looking (detail wise) fine/12 coin. That's my opinion though. smile.gif