• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finishes on state quarter first day coin covers

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I'll admit that I've been getting this set all along. 893whatthe.gifflamed.gifinsane.gifyeahok.gif

Anyhow, I just received my Oregon first day CC and found an very noticeable and interesting difference in the coins. The Denver minted piece was defininitely brilliant finish and the Philly issue was unquestionably satin finish. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had not realized that there might be the use of the new satin finish coins in these sets, but I guess it's reality. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Hoot

That is a little strange Hoot, that they would mix surface finishes. It seems as though they just used whatever they have on hand for First Day Covers. I wonder if you have an error set?

Good question, Charlie. I will keep my eyes peeled on CW and other pubs to see if it makes news. Might bring it to ANA and show some of the CW folks.

Hey, where you been?

Hoot

I mentioned this on another thread. When I got my bags and rolls of Oregon 25c, it was clearly evident that they were using the satin finish dies but there was some evidence of abrasion. Even though the dies were no longer appropriate for the "special handling" the UNC sets were to receive, they had not outlived their usefulness. About 40% of the OR 25c that came from my bags and rolls were produced with "doctored" satin dies.

Chris