• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC AD to features my Toned coins!!!

38 posts in this topic

I think that's what most folks assume including myself...but his scans are just as good as most photo's.....but not from a close up perspective.

Persistance in all the work you have in your collection is paying off in ways that you never thought they would! Congrats to you!

Adding toners to the collection, you betcha!

Here was a coin I was looking at for a couple of days and even asked the seller a couple of questions concerning it's strike!

The seller first replied with; I compared the hair detail to another MS66 example and the hair does appear to be struck a bit weaker. Overall, I would say that the coin is fully struck as evidenced by the full steps. Some of the hair detail gets washed out a bit by the colors.

I followed that we several picture from my collection so he could compare his coin to mine and his reply was; Looks like it to me, but I really can't be sure.

After coming to the conclusion that I'm not going to get the answer I'm looking for and reviewing the pictures again I decided to pass. I've taken many photos of coins and that seller's coin has a weak strike! That coin was graded by ANACS MS65 5 steps. The toning likely bumped the grade up a point and is really a MS64 with eye appeal, hence the MS65 grade!

I have a few toners in my collection. Here's the link!

Leo

Leo, I was the high bidder on that Jefferson you LINKED and will let you know how it looks when it arrives (should be within a day or so as I Paypaled for it immediately).

Leo, I was the high bidder on that Jefferson you LINKED and will let you know how it looks when it arrives (should be within a day or so as I Paypaled for it immediately).

Pat

It's a colorful coin and you got it for a nice price. You also got the 1957 proof that I was eyeing but I was late getting a bid in.

The 40-D is soft just above the ear and at the very top of the hair, at least that's what the picture tells me. I couldn't get the seller to tell me otherwise, I had to pass. Many sellers will dodge the questions that may prevent the bids from moving higher. And they would rather see you take that chance while they're thinking that once you win, it's yours, that the coin would never get returned. I really don't have time for all that, the PO, the emails and so on. It's a common date 40-D but they are a little tough locating fully struck. I don't want to go into all the peculiars to why I collect this way. It gets boring hearing the same thing over and over again. Oh what the heck, since you asked! grin.gif In the picture I've outlined those areas I was questioning. The smaller area is practically a problem with 99% of the high grade examples out there. I have this problem with many of my coins in my collection so what can a guy do about it?

Let me know if I was right and if you can provide a nicer picture.

And thanks for the nice comment Shane but we all know Frank knows better!

Leo

880680-dc_3b.JPG.957e73a126f17feeced88e3421cf73ee.JPG

Thanks Leo. I always enjoy and appreciate getting into the mindset of other knowledgeable collectors, such as yourself. The Jefferson series is your series.

I placed a bid as I know that the type of lighting used in his auctions drowns out/washes out some of the intense color. I'm hoping too, since ANACS gave the nod, the color is a bit more spectacular in person.

I could be wrong, but certainly it was worth the $50.00 +/- gamble.

It's also been my experience that although NGC will not holder neon toned proof Jeffersons (anymore) they will cross ANACS more times than not (at "any grade").

kryptonitecomics2: Congratulations on your "The Beauty of Toning" being presented in the NGC ad. I just recieved my July 26, 2005 issue of Numismatic News and the full page ad on page 23 is great! Well done! thumbsup2.gif