• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phlegmy Toning and How it can be Your Friend

15 posts in this topic

Phlegmy toning is that light, rich, somewhat hazy or glossy patina that appears as a light gold and faint, icy blue that is on silver stored for long periods of time in paper rolls. The toning doesn’t obscure the surfaces and appears almost translucent when the coin is tilted slightly. This is not dip residue and should not be confused as such. The presence of phlegmy toning is also evidence that the coin has original skin. Phlegmy toning need not be restricted to later coins, either, as there are those rare nineteenth century minor silver pieces that are largely white yet completely original.

This type of toning seems to appear mostly along the edge of a coin and creeps toward the center. This makes sense as only the edge of each coin is in contact with the paper wrapper and there is little airflow around the coins. Hence, long-term storage may result in light, phlegmy toning on an original skin coin. In my experience, dimes are more affected by this type of toning than the larger denominations and this makes sense since dimes are small and the surface area increases at the square of increasing radius whereas the circumference does not. An example is shown below.

863721-Copyofnew-3a.jpg

863723-Copyofnew-5a.jpg

The coin imaged is a 1939 Washington quarter and this issue is well known for its high quality as well as its highly graded coins. The white balance isn’t perfect on this piece, but it’s pretty close. Notice how there is a soft glow of gold near the rims and how it invades the obverse fields and hugs the lower portions of the coin. The remainder of the obverse appears white at first glance but is really an extremely faint icy blue. The entire obverse is covered in a thin layer of phlegmy toning that the camera could not pick up in a straight on shot. If the coin is held and angled slightly then the translucent film shows up quite well as a light haze. The reverse is very similar to the obverse in character and this is common for coins toned in this way. I suspect that this quarter came from an original roll of quarters that were stored in paper wrappers. Oddly, most 1939 quarters are bright white and this, in my opinion, is from massive dipping of the emission.

I am curious to see what the coins from the Omaha Bank Hoard look like since they were supposedly stored in rolls for many years. I don’t know if the rolls were paper or plastic tubes, but if they were paper and the coins are all blast white then I think we can guess that many were dipped.

I have owned a number of paper wrapped rolls of silver coinage and have also been able to view many coins that had previously spent significant years in paper wrapped rolls and one thing they have in common is phlegmy toning. Dime and quarter rolls from the 1950s, all of which have been sold, showed nearly a uniform warm, golden-blue glow on most coins. However, those rolls from the 1960s, including 40% silver half dollar rolls, were spotty and had less of the subtle color seen on the older coins. Alternatively, those rolls that I have had that were stored in plastic tubes almost never had this type of coloration on them. They were much more blast white in appearance.

Several rolls of NGC slabbed Washington quarters from the 1940s were being offered by a dealer whom I know. After looking at one coin, and not realizing he had dozens of others, I casually mentioned how that coin looked as though it had come from an original roll. He agreed and then showed me the remaining coins. The look was very characteristic. The oldest intact roll that I own is a roll of 1932 Washington quarters and these coins were in paper for years before it had degraded to the point that they were transferred to a plastic tube. Each of these coins has a look similar to the 1950s coins described earlier except that the coins, in general, have a deeper auburn glow and some auburn tinting within the lettering. The roll is fabulous in quality.

So, phlegmy toning may indicate a completely original coin from a paper wrapped roll. Enjoy!

I placed some phlegm on a coin once. For some reason, it didn't tone quite the same. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I think you need to get some snot into it too 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I enjoyed your post, Tom; informative posts are the reason that I'm here. But why "phlegm" confused.gif and not "mucus" 893whatthe.gif

Thanks, IGWT, I posted this to help others learn what an original coin might look like. I have used the phlegmy toning term for years and have had to explain it in several threads, on this and the PCGS boards, for those who have not read it before. As far as I know, I'm the only one who uses the term and I chose it simply because this toning always reminded me of a thin sheet of phlegm. 893whatthe.gif

Sorry AT

What are you writing about? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's sorry that the coin isn't his and he thinks it has Awesome Tone.

Thanks for the informative post. I think it would be cool to own a supurb roll of 1932 Wahsingtons like that, but I would want to get them out and look at them all the time and pretty soon they wouldn't look like that any more. I guess that's why I don't collect rolls of coins. I like to keep mine in a slab so I don't ruin them by fondeling them and drooling on them. cloud9.gif

Some collectors need to be protected from themselves. blush.gif

As usual, great post, Tom.

I've seen a few original rolled coins where the auburn/rust edges have started, yet the blue color and haze hasn't (for instance Franklins). This leads me to believe that the blue color and hazy appearance happens later in the process. Do you agree?

Just wondering....Mike