• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameo Mint state seated dime

9 posts in this topic

I bought this beauty from JJ Teaparty at the Clearwater show(see KC's thread)Unfortunately(well actually I'm a little more fortunate now devil.gif), I'm no longer the owner of this beauty so I had to steal the pics off their website devil.gif

But I did own it for a little while at least and it's awesome coin in person.It's graded MS-63 by PCGS and they should have given it the PL designation or Cameo,etc.(do they give any designations on MS seated dimes?)It's a choice coin for the 63 grade and it's virtually identical to a Cameo proof dime that was also in their case.

Enjoy:

60889.jpg

-Hayden

That is a super looking dime! It looks so well struck! Look at the head, shield, and reverse. It doesn't look like any business strike to me??? Is it possible, that it "is" a proof and PCGS just blew it? Wouldn't be the first time!

It looks like a proof coin in many ways. I know some of the seated coins are difficult to tell if they are proof like business strikes or are true proofs. The mint used retired proof dies to make business strikes. Since only 600 to 900 proofs were made each year, the retired proof die still had a lot of life left to make many more business strike coins. I can only tell so much by a picture, but this looks like a proof.

McKinley, the proof-like characteristics of Seated coins is inherent to all of the denominations, but most especially the quarters and halves of the 1879 - 1890 era. You can find proof-like early strikes of many other years of all the denominations, but the best ones in my opinion are the quarters and halves as I've mentioned, most especially the ones from the early 1880s. The bonus is that despite their insanely low mintages, they are highly available, and not outrageously expensive.

James

When I examined it,I agreed with PCGS' attributation.In person it's even more of a knockout however it is a MS,probably the first or one of the first coins of the dies...