• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp from Clearwater......Reverse Toned Morgan

9 posts in this topic

Well the Clearwater show has come and gone and I got to me a few of the forum names and put some faces behind the names. It was a real pleasure to meet Hayden and Chris and we looked at some coins and chatted for a while in between trips across the show floor.

Business did not appear to be brisk to me and several of the dealers I spoke with agreed...but it did pick up a little while we were there. I really hadn't planned on spending any money there just socializing etc.

I did find one inexpensive Reverse toned color coin and I thought the colors were nice so I purchased it. There were a few monsters there...but again I left most of my money at home since I have a few things I need to pay off before going crazy again. I will be sending this one off to NGC whenever I put together another submission and It's a borderline 63/64 so not sure which way it will go...probably 63.

1887Rev.jpg

Yes, it was good to be able to meet Shane and Hayden for the first time.

Hayden is much younger than I had imagined, and I was actually expecting someone closer to my own age than puberty. 27_laughing.gif No offense, Hayden! It's the "Moe" in me!devil.gif

We both got to see some of Shane's toners. He has every right to be proud of them. Geez, were they pretty!

I picked up 6 Morgans from Hayden as previously agreed upon, and I did buy a few more items. One is an '87 Morgan with nice toning on obv/rev. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mention it because I know how infuriated Hayden gets when I can't show any pictures. Fortunately, he has already seen it and it must meet with his approval because he tried to slip it into his pocket.

Early on, there were a lot of people milling around but most of the business that I saw was dealer-to-dealer. You have to understand that this was the first show I have ever attended. It really surprised me to see prospective buyers inspecting a stack of slabs and casually tossing them into accept/reject piles across the table. Is this a common practice or are some of these guys so egotistical that they think they can do what they want? Were these sellers so hard up for income that they will forgive the indiscretions?

The only disappointment for me was the fact that I asked every dealer if they had, or knew of someone who had, the '69 ANA Convention Medal Set. No luck!

Both Shane and Hayden got to meet my Mom. She insisted on bringing her camera, and she took a picture of "The Three Stooges" . It's too bad that Shemp couldn't be there! Maybe next year at F.U.N. '06 , Victor.

Chris

Yes, it was good to be able to meet Shane and Hayden for the first time.

Hayden is much younger than I had imagined, and I was actually expecting someone closer to my own age than puberty. 27_laughing.gif No offense, Hayden! It's the "Moe" in me!devil.gif

Well,let's just say that my mental age exceeds my physical age,of course the case may be different for you.Are you sure it's not really 68,rather than 58? tongue.gif

We both got to see some of Shane's toners. He has every right to be proud of them. Geez, were they pretty!

DITTO!

I picked up 6 Morgans from Hayden as previously agreed upon, and I did buy a few more items. One is an '87 Morgan with nice toning on obv/rev. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mention it because I know how infuriated Hayden gets when I can't show any pictures. Fortunately, he has already seen it and it must meet with his approval because he tried to slip it into his pocket.

Come on Chris I couldn't possibly let a sweet toner like that fall prey to someone who never take a picture of it 27_laughing.gif!

Early on, there were a lot of people milling around but most of the business that I saw was dealer-to-dealer. You have to understand that this was the first show I have ever attended. It really surprised me to see prospective buyers inspecting a stack of slabs and casually tossing them into accept/reject piles across the table. Is this a common practice or are some of these guys so egotistical that they think they can do what they want? Were these sellers so hard up for income that they will forgive the indiscretions?

You'd be suprised at what some people do at shows. 893whatthe.gif

Most dealers aren't overly protective of their cases and the dealers there who don't recognize me as a frequent usally just hand me a coin to look over while they stand back and just watch over their booth.I know a number of dealers who vary in between in their protectiveness of their cases till you get to the dealers who say"it's un-locked,feel free to look through it"and then actually turn their backs and go help another customer(this was a dealer who did not know me and I hadn't bought anything from).However there is this one dealer there who really ticked me off,Woody Stanton of Stanton's Coin and Stamp.I had asked to see a coin which he took out of the case and handed to me.I then went on to buy it,I was about to leave his table when I noticed another coin in his case that I would be interested.He was helping another customer and I'm a pretty courteous guy so I asked him it was allright if I took a look at the coin as I began to open the case.He looked over at me actually raised his voice and told me know he would get it out and to never open his case! I was visibly suprised by what he did,I had just bought a $400 coin from him and he's getting all ticked off at me over a freakin' $20 coin! I can understand dealers being protective of their cases,something I have no problem with but this guy was way out of line.I had only raised the lid about 3 inches and hadn't even touched any of his coins.Geez,I walked away from his table right away.I'm sorry I bought something from him if he was going to be such a,well you get the point. wink.gif

Overall,I get treated fairly at all the smaller shows,although I always seem to run into mean people at the larger shows due to the lack of familiarity.When I was 14 at the FUN show in 04,there was actually a dealer to whom I asked to view a $15 Bust dime and he asked an elderly gentleman standing next to me to take it out and hand it to him(the dealer) even though I was standing right there.Another dealer I walked away from.Overall,people treat me fairly regardless of my age(yes I really am a teenager) and those who do I always tend to buy alot from them.A bit suprising for them when I buy higher priced coin from them,but they're duly rewarded for their kindness as I'm quite happy to take the coins off their hands.

The only disappointment for me was the fact that I asked every dealer if they had, or knew of someone who had, the '69 ANA Convention Medal Set. No luck!

Sorry to hear that,but I guess my range of potential purchases is a bit wider so I had a little more luck.I was able to pick up a number of coins for want lists,inventory and even a few toners which I hope to get around to pictureing with my new Nikkon Coolpix 5600 yay.gif Chris this camera would be ideal for you,and don't tell me you can't afford it! grin.gif I was able to unload alot of coins and dealers were paying pretty good prices for them although most dealers were interested in smaller deals as many said that they needed to focus on selling during this show and their inventories were already full to the max. of course this provided for some good trades devil.gif

Both Shane and Hayden got to meet my Mom. She insisted on bringing her camera, and she took a picture of "The Three Stooges" . It's too bad that Shemp couldn't be there! Maybe next year at F.U.N. '06 , Victor.

Hey did you see that sign in the deli with the three stooges,two beating up on Moe?I didn't have my camera with me but it would have made a good sig line pic with a few word bubbles!I'll try to find the picture online...

Chris

I just moved to the bay area and due to my work schedule I was only able to attend the Clearwater show on Sunday, but I had a great time looking at all the stuff that the dealers (that were still there!) had. You guys put on a GREAT show! I met a former epay (intentional misspelling) chatter -- nice guy who had some really nice stuff.

I bought a few misc Canadian coins to fill out my Canuck collection, and I also bought a 1939 rev of 40 proof Jefferson in NGC 66 to add to my registry set. Put me in solid 3rd place. Got my eye on a couple other coins that either alone should put me in 2nd place, but don't know if I'll be able to buy them right now. *sigh*

Well,let's just say that my mental age exceeds my physical age,of course the case may be different for you.Are you sure it's not really 68,rather than 58? tongue.gif

What's that you say, sonny? You'll have to write in larger print........I can't hear you! For such a young whippersnapper, you sure don't have a very good memory. Back in January or February (not long after joining CS) I told everyone in another thread that I was older than dirt. See, you just wouldn't believe me!

Hey did you see that sign in the deli with the three stooges,two beating up on Moe?I didn't have my camera with me but it would have made a good sig line pic with a few word bubbles!I'll try to find the picture online...

yay.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gif

Chris