• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this matte proof Lincoln make your knees weak?

22 posts in this topic

Just picked up from the PO about an hour ago.

Hey Tom......Your 1912 is getting lonely. You should send it to me so it can be with his brothers. wink.gif

1916Lincolnobv.jpg

Superb coin!!!

Truthfully, however, don't you think that that 1916 might be a little happier living with me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

the only second true to form matte proof lincoln after a 09

a matte proof 1916 with a reworked hub showing all the glory and detail of the original 1909 coin and the last matte proof to boot!!

extremely rare and beautiful with all that detail and the net mintage is around that of the matte proof 90 vdb!! the mintage net mintage of this coin is mostly around 500 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

with the matte proofs being in less demand every year since 1909 and the new coins being introduced at the philly mint merc dimes walker halves standers there was much to do and the death of the matte proofs in fact all proof coinage till the late 1930's 893whatthe.gif

the 1916 is the rare swan song of the matte proof lincolns and a really rarer coin than what the mintage suggests

as again it is the net mintage that is important as per the above!! hail.gif

this coin is the cloud9.gifnuts cloud9.gif with this "look" vibrancy and coloration along with what looks to be a superb gem grade in the photo 893applaud-thumb.gifwild 893applaud-thumb.gif

the only thing better would be a true superb gem matte proof full red roman finish 1909 both coins with the new 1909 unworn hub and the 1916 with the reworked hub to increase old abes detail on the obverse are a match for the highest beauty and form of the mintmasters art in lincoln cents

to have a superlative 1909 full red superb gem roman finish matte proof OR a superb gem matte 1916 lincoln wildly tissue paper toned blue proof is the ultimate

the holy grail would be to have both 893whatthe.gif

well i can dream cant i cloud9.gifflowerred.gifgrin.gifhail.gifcool.giflaugh.gif

can you imagine a whole set of matte proof lincolns in tissue toned blue coloration coins 893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

truly a one of a kind 893scratchchin-thumb.gif set or damn closecloud9.gif

This is the first I have heard of "matte proof Lincolns" I guess I had my head in the sand until now. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful and unusual coin.

Jonathan

Thanks for all the compliments.

I just love these matte proofs. Honestly I have to blame TomB as it was through him where I purchased my first.

These coins show Abe at his finest. The crispness of a matte proof is incomparable to any other. To find these with brilliant blue/green/violet toning is indeed a challenge but well worth the hunt.

Yes Michael....It would be a huge undertaking and accomplishment to have a whole set with similiar looks. wink.gifsmile.gif

Many or most of us have no doubt seen this image previously, but AlixTCat might not have so I will post it again.

860714-B1912P65BN.jpg

860714-B1912P65BN.jpg.7751f3ede9fc1804d1f11e2261e57d29.jpg

I saw a nice blue Matte Proof lincoln very similar to the one you and Tom posted......needless to say I didn't have the cash to purchase it or it would have been MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet coins gentlemen...sweet coins!!! cloud9.gif

Many or most of us have no doubt seen this image previously, but AlixTCat might not have so I will post it again.

860714-B1912P65BN.jpg

Aww, man! Awesome coin! Thanks for posting. And thanks to the OP for posting his coin. Very cool. I am always happy to be turned on to another facet of coin collecting.

Jonathan cool.gif

Jonathan, please don't get your hopes up in terms of collecting attractive matte proof Lincolns as, in my opinion, greater than 99.9% of the extant matte proof Lincolns are not attractive. The really attractive ones are quite rare.