• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the gold eagle grade (revealed)

14 posts in this topic

This is the first gold coin I've bought in 2 years but I think it was worth the wait. I just got it today from Carl Wohlforth. Best addition to my type set in a while. What do you think she grades?

1932%2010D%20MS64%20o%20smallb.jpg

1932%2010D%20MS64%20r%20smallb.jpg

I'm terrible at grading gold (just look at my F15 guess on the VF35 one dollar gold thread foreheadslap.gif) but I would guess MS62 as the obverse is quite nice but the reverse has many small nicks on it.

The color looks beautiful in your image, did you take the shot? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks! smile.gif Yep, took the images a couple of hours ago. The rev is a little more golden than in the image but otherwise it's right on.

Sweet! Great strike on that coin!!! makepoint.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I'd say it's a solid 62, with a shot at 63, given the fact that gold is allowed more chatter than other coinage.

takeit.gif

Hoot

You're the only one who is right! It is a solid 64. Even a tiny bit on the upper end.

That's why grading from a pic is just a game... wink.gif

Hoot

You guys are tough graders! After looking at many of those I thought that one had a chance of upgrading. I sent it in but no go. It has great luster and eye appeal. That is one coin I'd like to buy back.

Carl: '32 Eagles come scuffy and dirty. This one is pretty clean for a '32. I would guess high end MS63, might 64 on a good day.

OT3