• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A nice indian cent

15 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd post an indian cent. I've shown it before but I re-shot images of it earlier and thought I'd show it here. It has a RPD for the second 9 or it's an overdate. Not sure as I ain't no expert in that area. But clearly has something going on. Still a beauty of a coin.

1899%201C%20MS65RD%20o%20small.jpg

1899%201C%20MS65RD%20r%20small.jpg

Very cool. Looks like it is one of the first 50 strikes, too. Notice the orange-peel effect. This is a result from die quenching which is just manifest in the later part of the series like after 1890 or so. Notice that the orange-peel effect doesn't cover the entire surface area of the coin which means that it's not among say the first 25 strikes but it normally completely disappears w/i 50 strikes +/-.

But, then again, I may be showing my ignorance in that it may be die fatigue.

Let's hear about it you coin-gurus, you... popcorn.gif

Kind of an interesting die gouge coming off of the "S" in states, too.

The process of hardening the die by immersing it (while hot) in cold water. Annealing (adding heat) softens the die and relieves stress. Quenching strengthens it back up again.

Really nice coin.

It looks like something is going on in the lower loop of the 8 as well.It looks like the S-2 in my old Snow book.

The # may have changed in the newer books.

Really nice coin.

It looks like something is going on in the lower loop of the 8 as well.It looks like the S-2 in my old Snow book.

The # may have changed in the newer books.

Yeah, definitely. It's also in both nine's tail. So is that a double die or what is going on?

Interesting thread! thumbsup2.gif

Oh, awesome photos, btw. You take them?

It looks like a nice frickin' coin with terrific photos! thumbsup2.gif I agree that there appears to be something in the lower loop of the 8.

Not to pick on the coin, but the images are so good that minute things no doubt stand out, so, is there a discolored spot directly below the ear and is there a staple scratch just to the right of TA in STATES? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, I took the pics myself. Yep, that's a light scratch and there is definitely an earring. smile.gif I've always focused on the 9 and didn't look at the three. I'll try resample the pic for the date area using the larger pic I took of the coin. If someone could help me identify it, I'd be grateful.

855029-1899closeup.jpg

855029-1899closeup.jpg.033567676029d43943d60e1faf4fea6e.jpg

I can see the orange peel effect. But, Mr. Yuk. are you saying it was made somewhere betweeen the 26th and the 50th coin struck? Like one at a time?

Jerry

It looks like a nice frickin' coin with terrific photos! thumbsup2.gif I agree that there appears to be something in the lower loop of the 8.

Not to pick on the coin, but the images are so good that minute things no doubt stand out, so, is there a discolored spot directly below the ear and is there a staple scratch just to the right of TA in STATES? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have seen several 1899 toned PROOFS that have an area of different color toning below the ear. I wonder if this is somehow related?

I can see the orange peel effect. But, Mr. Yuk. are you saying it was made somewhere betweeen the 26th and the 50th coin struck? Like one at a time?

Jerry

The first ten strikes or so will have a heavy orange peel effect over the entire surface area of the coin. But, as more coins are struck then the rippling will eventual diminish and fade away. My point was that since the entire coin's surface is not orange peeled then it was not among the first dozen or so strikes. Normally around 50 strikes or so, the rippling effect has completely disappeared. But, then again, I may be full of beans. confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

I'm not sure. I thought they went to unidate punches by then (meaning not using individual digits). I guess I have to wait for a IHC expert to stop by.