• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody Get Me Rewrite!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I composed what I assumed to be a routine topic addressed to a single member.  I did so publicly hoping someone would assist me in narrowing down the likely possibilities.

A year ago almost to the day, Congress with an assist from Coin World chose a select group of designs which would have been referred for consideration in time for the production of coins to mark the 250th anniversary of the United States, as then constituted, for what it termed would be its SEMIQUINTCENTENNIAL.

For unknown reasons, I an unable to raise this matter concerning an informal polling contest from any archives.

If you recall the poll, marked by mediocre choices, please state as much in this thread. Board Guidelines mandate a direct appeal to a dozen current members by name if allowed to proceed, would result in my being drawn-or-quartered, or in the alternative, being terminated with extreme prejudice.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Complete overhaul.

On 10/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, RWB said:

Hmmm....Is Henri just dancing around the pole on this one?

I have rewritten the entire post. Now, if it turns out nobody knows anything about which I speak, I will immediately tender my resignation.  My memory may have been compromised, but not so much so that I cannot recall with crystal clarity which member indicated a preference for a specific design everyone else chose to pass over.

I am afraid if no one steps up to the plate by, say, Halloween, I shall have no choice but to be evacuated from the premises by @The Neophyte Numismatist .

While it may be true I have returned scores of times, there will be no return from this episode.  "TNN" means business!

(Thank you Moderation for allowing me to fend for myself.)

On 10/23/2024 at 8:16 PM, Henri Charriere said:

if it turns out nobody knows anything about

Ahhh -- the old spiritual: "Nobody knows anything-about the trouble I seen...."

On 10/24/2024 at 12:58 PM, RWB said:

Ahhh -- the old spiritual: "Nobody knows anything-about the trouble I seen...."

The precise line, as I recall it from memory, when the Poor Peoples' Canpaign walked to Washington's Resurrection City, by way of the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) in the late spring of1968, was a deep, mornuful dirge, sung slowly... "Nobody knows... the trou-ble I've seen.  No-bo-dy- but... Je-sus."  I was young --and impressionable.

Back on Topic Track... if so much as a single member, whether in good standing or nor, whether a follower or not, represents with credibility he knows nothing of which I speak, I will voluntarily leave the premises and Sleep Hollow will have to fend for itself, without me.  Mark my words! And if the Forum feigns mass ignorance, I shall challenge no one, I will be on my way to revive the old Hobo Convention in Britt, Iowa. Why so many members who good-naturedly indicated their preferences for, in many cases, the Golden Age of Coinage such as it was, would now deny such an occurrence ever happened is beyond me -- but I will accept the silent verdict, and go feed the birds in the park.  To paraphrase Popeye the Sailor Man ™️ in this aspect speaking for the Moderators...  "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more.

edit:

A great deal of hostility directed at me recently.  No one remembers a survey we all took -- and discussed at length.  I was dismissed by a lass as "shallow."  One whippersnapper called me a punk!  True, I lived and went to the same school as The Ramones, but I didn't care for their clothes or music.  Worst of all, our Grand Master called me a "poll dancer,"  Terrible! Anyway I have re-posted the gist of what I wanted to bring to the membership's attention in the U.S. World Forum under the Topic" United States Mint Invitation."  Nite all!