• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vacation was good to me...

10 posts in this topic

Last week I was on vacation and stopped at a coin shop.... Picked up a few things... I think I did rather well

1922 Plain Lincoln Cent G-04 - This will complete my lincolns.. the last of the key dates for me... Weak Reserve Variety

1893 Columbian FR-02 - Just something neat to have....

1869/69 3 Cent Nickel F-12 A very nice overdate with doubling in some of the other letters

1899 Barber Half EF-45/ AU-50 - This is my first highgrade piece in this series... its a very nice coin...

I will post some pics later...

I'm happy that you found some new coins during your vacation. Please don't take my comments to harsh on the 1922 cent. ANACS does not recognize the weak reverse Die #1 and Die #3 as a 1922 plain. I don't either. On the weak reverse die parings, the D filled in and out from grease. I have seen some in PCGS holders as a 1922 plain weak reverse where the D is still visible. Sometimes it is only the lower part of the D, but it is still there. On low grade ones, it is hard to tell if the D was removed from wear or from a person wanting to make a 1922 plain cent.

On the strong reverse die #2, the dies clashed and the D was pollished off along with the clash marks. Then all the the cents struck from this die were 1922 plain. The coins from this die paring have several characteristics besides the missing D to identify them.

Thanks for the information, I got a guarantee on the coin. I am submitting it to see how it turns out. If it comes back weak D I will send it back to him for a full refund but at the price I could not pass it up. I too was skeptical, but with the guarantee then I was put to ease. The coin that is cool is the 1869/69.. not only is the date doubled but some of the letters as well.. just some nice finds.

Anytime you can pick up a mid-to-high grade Barber half that is original and attractive you can consider that a score. thumbsup2.gif Can we see pictures of it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif