• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concern over Submissions: Time and going backwards in classification.
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I'm very new to the submission activity and have been pleased up to now with my results.  Lisa has very patiently "spoonfed" me on how to do the paperwork etc !  She is an excellent professional.   I have some concerns about two submissions.

First group    I submitted a group of 5 coins that show up now as entered into the NGC system  on July 17th that I submitted at the Summer FUN show in Orlando.  I submitted them as "Standard" world coins, not economy.  They have just recently shown as "Grading / Quality Control".  I'm starting to worry as the length of time is significantly past  42 days.  

I submitted a second group at the ANA in August...and this one also is concerning.  For a very different reason.  This lot had made it to "Grading / Encapsulation / Imaging" a couple of weeks ago and has now moved backwards to "Scheduled for Grading".  It shows as entered into the system on August 19th, but the form and coins were turned in on the first day of Dealer set up at the ANA.  This submission was also "Standard" not economy.

None of these coins are exotic in nature...they are all well known British types that should be easy to process.   I only use standard and not economy to submit.  Does anyone have any observations they could share with me ?  The length of time for the one submission is one issue but the "going backwards" on status is a different worry.  Are these typical and should I just cool my jets.?

thanks  Buzz

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The "NGC Registry" forum is for topics pertaining to the NGC certified coin registry. If you wanted an answer about your submissions from the NGC staff, the best forum to post this topic would have been the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum.

Based upon my own submissions and inquiries similar to yours, there is no reason for concern about your submissions. It is not unusual for a submission to move "backward" in status for a while, and this may happen several times before the submission is finalized. The estimated--and it is only estimated--turnaround time begins when your coins have been entered into NGC's computer system, not when you delivered the submission at a coin show or when the coins were received at NGC's warehouse, where they can spend some time before being processed. Moreover, I understand that the turnaround time is counted in business days, and two hurricanes have affected the Sarasota area since you submitted the coins, in addition to weekends and the Labor Day holiday.   Submitting coins to grading services is usually a time-consuming process.

On 10/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, CHARLES FEREBEE said:

I'm very new to the submission activity and have been pleased up to now with my results.  Lisa has very patiently "spoonfed" me on how to do the paperwork etc !  She is an excellent professional.   I have some concerns about two submissions.

First group    I submitted a group of 5 coins that show up now as entered into the NGC system  on July 17th that I submitted at the Summer FUN show in Orlando.  I submitted them as "Standard" world coins, not economy.  They have just recently shown as "Grading / Quality Control".  I'm starting to worry as the length of time is significantly past  42 days.  

I submitted a second group at the ANA in August...and this one also is concerning.  For a very different reason.  This lot had made it to "Grading / Encapsulation / Imaging" a couple of weeks ago and has now moved backwards to "Scheduled for Grading".  It shows as entered into the system on August 19th, but the form and coins were turned in on the first day of Dealer set up at the ANA.  This submission was also "Standard" not economy.

None of these coins are exotic in nature...they are all well known British types that should be easy to process.   I only use standard and not economy to submit.  Does anyone have any observations they could share with me ?  The length of time for the one submission is one issue but the "going backwards" on status is a different worry.  Are these typical and should I just cool my jets.?

thanks  Buzz

It takes as long as it takes. 

Based on my experiences with NGC it is a little unusual for them to run past the published turnaround times, which, from what I understand are based on a submission's "Received" date, but it does happen from time to time, not a big deal generally. A submission jumping back and forth between several stages shown in the status box is extremely common, normal almost. For example if you had a coin that was recommended for conservation, or the coin was sent to imaging, or an issue was identified in finalization or encapsulation and the coin/s were kicked back to grading, etc.. Lots of reasons why a submissions status will seemingly jump around or go backwards, in the end NGC is trying to make sure that they get it right and that you are happy with their service. Speaking of service, NGC has an excellent customer service department and you could always contact them for an update. 

Yes, "cool your jets", ;), and good luck with your submission. (thumbsu