• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restrike or cast fake? Muled "1836" Classic Head with Draped Bust reverse
1 1

1 post in this topic

The only thing I know about this coin, for sure, is that it isn't one struck by the US mint, outside of that... I can't confirm much else. The reverse appears to be that of the 1804 C-6 and while someone over at Coin Talk has posted one similar, they didn't seem to know much about it either. I believe it has been artificially aged or even intentionally corroded as it's unlikely that it's as old as it appears. It's weight and dimensions are correct and aside from the obvious, the details are startlingly good. Is there anyway this was made using decommissioned dies?

Side Note: I feel like the face of the bust is wrong for the later CH half cents, it's flatter and closer to the earlier dates making me wonder if someone got their hands on die hubs instead of complete dies due to the mix-n-match nature of the details on this specimen.

IMG_20241007_233802858_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20241007_233745823_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg