• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me what the H, 4 on obverse and J on reverse is ? It is a 1900 Morgan
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what the H, 4 on obverse and J on reverse is ? It is a 1900 Morgan. I don't know what would cause this or why someone would do it perfectly, or how? I know it's not in the best condition but not bad for almost 125 years old and circulated.  Thank you for any answers.

resized J.jpg

resized 4.jpg

H on Morgan.jpg

Edited by Vicki318
add more photos

On 9/27/2024 at 2:19 PM, Vicki318 said:

Can anyone tell me what the H, 4 on obverse and J on reverse is ? It is a 1900 Morgan. I don't know what would cause this or why someone would do it perfectly, or how? I know it's not in the best condition but not bad for almost 125 years old and circulated.  Thank you for any answers.

resized J.jpg

resized 4.jpg

H on Morgan.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The coin has been counterstamped. Someone took a set of letter and number punches and went to town on the coin, you'll like never know why or who did it but it adds no value to the coin.

Could you post clear, cropped images of both sides. It'd be nice to see in case I missed something. 

image.jpeg.86b949fa1ac552dc9c5344a06d375798.jpeg

On 9/27/2024 at 11:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Welcome to the forum.

The coin has been counterstamped. Someone took a set of letter and number punches and went to town on the coin, you'll like never know why or who did it but it adds no value to the coin.

Could you post clear, cropped images of both sides. It'd be nice to see in case I missed something. 

image.jpeg.86b949fa1ac552dc9c5344a06d375798.jpeg