• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 P Quarter
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Need some insight on this one.  While going through some change, I came across a 2004 P Quarter.  I happened to look at the reeded edge and noticed it was all “silver in color”.  I had to double check the mint mark in the event this was a S mint silver specimen (nope).  I checked versus other 2004 P and D Florida quarters and all of them had the obvious cladding appearance when observed on the reeded edge.  I weighed both coins and the questionable quarter was 5.78 grams and is week within tolerance of 5.443 to 5.897 grams.  I looked at the reeded edge to look for damage that would suggest just extra cladding and the core would be visible/distinguishable (nothing observed).  Images attached.  I’ve inquired with a few other numismatics and they suggested going to this forum.  Am I chasing a snipe (thinking this could be some sort of mint related error) or could this be something unique?   Any information/ guidance is greatly appreciated.

-James

IMG_4708.jpeg

IMG_4711.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

The most likely explanation is that the coin was plated or coated after leaving the mint with a silvery substance for sale as a novelty by a mass marketer. Many state quarters were altered and sold in this manner, especially those given a gold color. The fact that the coin is within tolerance for a normal clad quarter (standard weight 5.67 grams) and a bit on the heavy side, supports this hypothesis.

I can't tell anything else, at least not from the images provided. Please provide clear, cropped images of each full side of the coin that are transmitted directly from your computer, rather than images of the computer screen, which are too pixilated to see clearly.

I agree that this could well be plated.   However it is not that unusual to see the entire edge/reeding be covered by the cladding and thus no copper clad sandwich showing.