• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 penny no mint mark wide am +
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1995 penny no mint mark and I believe it’s DDO,DDR and wide AM, I have that coin since 2021 and I wonder if I am right about the coin errors and for that matter I need y’all help and every advice and recommendations are very welcome and appreciated and if is possible to give me and idea on the possible grade of the coin (just an idea or possibility) it will go to be graded by PCGS where I have been sending coins to be graded I will post pictures.

thank you in advance for your help!

IMG_1473.jpeg

On 9/19/2024 at 1:51 PM, Huitzilopochtli said:

I have a 1995 penny no mint mark and I believe it’s DDO,DDR and wide AM, I have that coin since 2021 and I wonder if I am right about the coin errors and for that matter I need y’all help and every advice and recommendations are very welcome and appreciated and if is possible to give me and idea on the possible grade of the coin (just an idea or possibility) it will go to be graded by PCGS where I have been sending coins to be graded I will post pictures.

thank you in advance for your help!

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

A. not a wide AM

B. not a DDO

C. not a DDR

D. Stained pocket change that has some worthless die deterioration and a touch of split plating; worth a grand total of one cent.   In other words, damaged pocket change, sending it for grading will be a waste of your money, but it's your money.   As you asked for a grade I would grade it AU details for the significant rim gouge on the rev between the ME of America.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/19/2024 at 12:35 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

some blisters on the back of the coin (is that what split plating is?).

No those are just plating blisters that are very common on the zinc core cents.   Split plating happens when the coin is struck, the copper plating has to stretch as the coin is struck and the design and lettering are formed.   Often the plating fails and "splits" leaving the zinc core exposed which leaves a silver outline next to some area of the design or lettering/numbers.   I cannot say for sure but if you look at the lower leg of the second five that area has a silver shadow next to it.   That could be a lighting reflection, or it could be split plate, difficult to be 100% sure from the op's photo.

On 9/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

No those are just plating blisters that are very common on the zinc core cents.   Split plating happens when the coin is struck, the copper plating has to stretch as the coin is struck and the design and lettering are formed.   Often the plating fails and "splits" leaving the zinc core exposed which leaves a silver outline next to some area of the design or lettering/numbers.   I cannot say for sure but if you look at the lower leg of the second five that area has a silver shadow next to it.   That could be a lighting reflection, or it could be split plate, difficult to be 100% sure from the op's photo.

Ok, thanks for the information. It's true, you do learn something new everyday. =)