• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carver-Washington 1/2 Dollar
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Recently I purchased two Carver Washington memorial coins from two different dealers. (eBay) One coin is clean and shiny and looks new the other appears dirty and is appropriately worn, and they passed the magnet test.  They both weigh 12.32 grams. I read they should weigh 10.21 grams. I am concerned they may be counterfeit. 

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

Welcome to the forum. According to our host's Coin Explorer, the weight should be 12.5 grams. I'm not exactly sure of the specs for commemoratives, but the tolerance for the 90% half dollars minted for circulation from 1947 to 1964 was +/- 0.259 grams. That would put your coins within mint tolerance.

Welcome to the NGC chat board. For best attention, a topic like yours should be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

What you read is wrong. As @Just Bob commented, the standard weight for a U.S. half dollar dated from 1947-1964, including commemoratives, is 12.50 grams, with a tolerance of plus or minus 0.259 gram, so a weight of 12.32 grams is within tolerance. I cannot render any other opinion on your coins due to the inadequacy of the images. Please post clearer photos that have been cropped to show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin, like these of an NGC certified 1951-S Carver Washington half dollar:

1951-SWChalfdollarobv..thumb.jpg.f98f8177a28c772342ae2e1a1657428e.jpg

1951-SWChalfdollarrev..thumb.jpg.474f19603d4925b21348da776a376560.jpg

If you are new to collecting or otherwise unfamiliar with the characteristics of genuine examples of the coins you want to collect, you should avoid buying uncertified coins from dealers on sites such as eBay, unless they are well-established coin dealers, such as members of the Professional Numismatists Guild, https://www.pngdealers.org/.

There are many counterfeits made in China of the whole series of 50 cent commemoratives.   
As stated, a clear cropped photo of both sides is needed to determine if yours is genuine or not.