• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you prefer your legacy to read?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

How would you like to be remembered by your colleagues at NGC?  Some people, reflecting on their life, seize the opportunity to pen their own "authorized" autobiography.  They have the luxury of picking and choosing what gets included, what gets excluded -- and what's glossed over.

Others write their obituaries.  The NY Times does that routinely.  After a person is gone is too late.  In fact, they now present the obituaries of people who had been overlooked or whose contributions were not timely recognized. [My favorite is Henry "Box" Brown who literally "shipped" himself in a small crate to a Free state from a Slave one.] He remained free for the rest of his life.

So, if you care, how would you like to be remembered? For those things members (and an army of lurkers) are most familiar with, or the things of great general interest viewers know nothing about and would never expect.

I suspect there are a great many interesting stories out there.  Fell free to think about it, and share yours.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Drop a letter.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:14 PM, Moxie15 said:

I just do not want to be remembered for dying because I did something dumd.

You can start by spelling "dumd," DUMB.  :hi:

On 8/27/2024 at 7:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You can start by spelling "dumd," DUMB.  :hi:

Good thing I did not die writing that, isn't it?

On 8/28/2024 at 9:40 AM, Moxie15 said:

Just remember. When you die the OP will still be here making fun of you. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 10:40 AM, Moxie15 said:

You are a good sport and well-liked on the Forum.  Everyone makes mistakes and, truth be told, I make my fair share of them. Hence, the tongue-in-cheek reason I gve for editing; "Routine die polishing."

Korek misspelling.

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 2:45 PM, ldhair said:

Just remember. When you die the OP will still be here making fun of you. 

Absolute poppycock!  

I am no better than anyone else here.

Would my correction have been more properly made via PM?  YES.  And for that, I apologize.  

Restore letter.

On 8/28/2024 at 2:55 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Absolute poppycock!  

I am no better than anyone else here.

Would my correction have been more properly made vi PM?  YES.  And for that, I apologize.  

That would have been no fun at all!

My favorite epitaph: “He took no 💩 from anyone.” Why that? Because the Philadelphia Eagles already have, “Nobody likes us. We don’t care.”

Better than M. Donald Grant, the Managing Partner of the NY Mets during their birth.....later reviled in the 1970's when he traded The Franchise, Tom Seaver.....who was merely disliked in the 1960's as the expansion Mets floundered despite being Lovable Losers.

One wag made a banner flown at Shea Stadium circa 1966 or 1967 as the losing started to wear thin:  Welcome To Grant's TombxD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I don't think I want a "legacy" per se.  Rather I hope that as a result of my having lived that there is a little more cooperation among people and things are a little more efficient.  Numismatically I think I might have been able to help by having provided some of the coins collectors want for their future collections.  Part of life is the delusion that things are always improving and everything has always been much better than it really was.  The provision of coins of good quality will help people remember the good things about the last 60 years and not to see the gathering chaos no matter how things unfold.  

I believe that having fun and leaving the world a better place are the only two imperatives for humans and all good flows from these.  I have a lot of fun micromanaging my little tiny corner of reality in between trying to have fun and leave some sort of "legacy" for the future.   

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2024 at 9:02 AM, cladking said:

I don't think I want a "legacy" per se.  Rather I hope that as a result of my having lived that there is a little more cooperation among people and things are a little more efficient.  Numismatically I think I might have been able to help by having provided some of the coins collectors want for their future collections.  Part of life is the delusion that things are always improving and everything has always been much better than it really was.  The provision of coins of good quality will help people remember the good things about the last 60 years and not to see the gathering chaos no matter how things unfold.  

I believe that having fun and leaving the world a better place are the only two imperatives for humans and all good flows from these.  I have a lot of fun micromanaging my little tiny corner of reality in between trying to have fun and leave some sort of "legacy" for the future.   

I learned something very significant from you that solved an old mystery regarding my dislike for early clads for which I am very grateful.  You are a credit to the coin collecting hobby.

Misc die polishing

On 8/28/2024 at 5:46 PM, VKurtB said:

My favorite epitaph: “He took no 💩 from anyone.” Why that? Because the Philadelphia Eagles already have, “Nobody likes us. We don’t care.”

Bunkum and Balderdash.  All one need do is look at that overflowing Radio City Music Hall list of followers to know you have great appeal.  Like me, you have encumberances; unlike me, you have the means to seek respite. Beneath the rusticated exterior and bluster is a kinder and gentler view which it is possible you may view as weakness. You're capable of admitting error and graciously accepting criticism even when unwarranted. You have something clearly lacking in others: a lifetime of service and eagerness to give back. I suspect this Forum wold falter and founder without your presence.  There are those with outsized personalities I have no trouble cutting down to size. I consider the source and take the measure of the man, and speak an eternal, uncomfortable truth;  "It is not who you know, but who knows YOU.  One need only let their fingers do the walking thru cyberspace to find out where you stand, to your everlasting credit.

On 9/2/2024 at 8:31 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Bunkum and Balderdash.  All one need do is look at that overflowing Radio City Music Hall list of followers to know you have great appeal.  Like me, you have encumberances; unlike me, you have the means to seek respite. Beneath the rusticated exterior and bluster is a kinder and gentler view which it is possible you may view as weakness. You're capable of admitting error and graciously accepting criticism even when unwarranted. You have something clearly lacking in others: a lifetime of service and eagerness to give back. I suspect this Forum wold falter and founder without your presence.  There are those with outsized personalities I have no trouble cutting down to size. I consider the source and take the measure of the man, and speak an eternal, uncomfortable truth;  "It is not who you know, but who knows YOU.  One need only let their fingers do the walking thru cyberspace to find out where you stand, to your everlasting credit.

I do not deserve the accolades you pile upon me. I was taught to serve, and I try to. Right now, I’m struggling to continue to be physically ABLE to do what I’d like to be doing. All that means is that some tasks need to be pared down occasionally. I need to be more discriminating with my travel obligations. I can still drive 700 miles each way for a show, or fly to Berlin, but I need to budget more physical recovery time in between. But mind you, as much as I resist accolades bordering on embarrassing for me, I am EQUALLY opposed to doling them out for others. This hobby has more than its share of shmendriks and shnooks, and some of them occasionally receive awards and write books.

Edited by VKurtB