• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what kind of error is this..

8 posts in this topic

III-D-1 Struck on a Small Lamination Crack Planchet ; Rarity Level: 3-4 (Could be as many as 100,000 and as few as 1,000)

Chris

It is a nice lamination on a 1912 S ... I would value the coin at about 10% more so in this case if you say it $15.00 add a $1.50 so $16.50 would be a good starting point.

III-D-1 Struck on a Small Lamination Crack Planchet ; Rarity Level: 3-4 (Could be as many as 100,000 and as few as 1,000)

Chris

whoa that sounds serious? can you explain that to me? you want better pics? III-D-1?

cool.gifgrin.gif

McKinley, here is the complete definition:

A strike on a small lamination crack planchet is defined as: A coin struck on a planchet which has a thin layer of the planchet metal, less than 1/16th of an inch in thickness and less than 25% of the surface of one face, partially or completely separated from the planchet, showing on the struck coin as a struck layer, with the design showing in the surface beneath the partially separated layer.

Small laminations or a single crack into the metal are quite common and easily collected except in the 90% silver coins where they are scarce to rare. They are too common on the silver war nickels to have any collector value. Collectors usually favor higher grade coins or those with a readily visible detached layer either retained by one edge or recovered with the coin.

The Rarity Level 3-4 that I cited in my previous post is listed as Scarce to Very Scarce.

Bruce gave you a good estimate, but I would like to see a better picture of the area near the date. What is the line (or mark) below the date and to the right of the mintmark?

Chris

thanks for the info... that line is just something the scanner picked up, same with the white dot by his nose.

i knew it wouldn't add a ton to it, but it looks nice and it's a better date lincoln so.. had to ask.

it seems that giving it a rarity level is a bit extreme? pretty interesting though.. again, thank you..

thanks for the info... that line is just something the scanner picked up, same with the white dot by his nose.

i knew it wouldn't add a ton to it, but it looks nice and it's a better date lincoln so.. had to ask.

it seems that giving it a rarity level is a bit extreme? pretty interesting though.. again, thank you..

McK , I wouldn't consider the Rarity Level an extreme. I do know that NGC does not include these errors in their Census, so it can be difficult trying to get an estimate of value and/or population. For example, earlier this year I found a 2001-D Kennedy 50c in a $100 Mixed P & D Bag that I got from the Mint. It is missing the clad layer on the reverse. I got it back from NGC about a month ago, MS64, Rev Clad Layer Missing. When I didn't see it listed in the Census, I inquired about it at "Ask NGC" . I was told that they only list varieties, not errors. The Rarity Level of this coin is 5-6 which means there could be as many as 1,000 or as few as 10 in existence. Everyone I have asked about this coin has only been able to tell me they have never seen a half dollar with this error. This is all the information I have at my disposal. How can I arrive at an estimate of its value with such vague information? What am I supposed to do, put it up for auction just to see what it is worth? No way!

Chris

While I realize that a lamination is an error and there are many error collectors, does anyone really collect lamination errors? I've never heard of anyone actually seeking these out. Most of the time when I follow a coin with a lamination in an auction it seems to bring less money than it would have without the lamination. I know that I have passed on coins like this because I don't care for them, so the value would be lower to me than a coin without the error.