• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 Us State Quarter (Florida)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Found this in a roll, stood out because it doesn’t have the cladding appearance.  Weighed it and it is half a gram lighter 5.76 versus 6.25 grams (see pictures below).  Thoughts?

IMG_4105.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4107.jpeg

Fentucky Mike beat me to it. All I have to add is do not hold coins like that. Hold by the edges only. Oils from  your skin can cause fingerprints on a coin.

Edited by Greenstang

As @Fenntucky Mike posted while I was writing, the legal weight of a clad quarter is 5.67 grams, with a tolerance of plus or minus 0.227 gram, so a weight of 5.76 grams would be well within tolerance for this state quarter. (The legal weight of a pre-1965 .900 fine silver quarter or a 1992-2018 silver proof quarter is 6.25 grams.)  

A photo of the obverse could be helpful, such as by showing evidence of plating.

If you think that a coin has collector value, you should never hold it in your bare hands.

Thank you for the information.  I always wipe off my coins with a clean rag after handling.  This was found in a circulated roll from the bank.  I’m sure it’s been touched half a million times. 

On 7/23/2024 at 1:59 PM, Manchu11B said:

I always wipe off my coins with a clean rag after handling.

I recommend that you do not wipe a coin with anything, no matter how soft.  Wiping can leave hairline scratches that may downgrade the coin or cause it to be designated as "cleaned".  You should rinse the coin with clean (preferably distilled) water and pat (do not rub) it dry.