• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

126 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2024 at 7:12 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Gee, between having some money to burn and going to a coin show with you I have little doubt about what your nephew will be walking out the door with. lol Still, you're more describing a stacker not a collector, at least not yet ;), and someone like your nephew is not the norm, at least not by me. There are possibly more stackers now than previously and I still don't believe that most new collectors are going to start off with SGDE's, other than to stack them, or that publicizing the '33 will motivate collectors to buy into common SGDE's other than one or two for a type set. 

You make a good point and in most cases, you might be right.  I have no idea if he will be collecting bullion-only coins but I do think he might appreciate a couple of nice Saints, DEs, or other gold coins in his new mantle/hutch.xD

Do I think he'll be a COLLECTOR in the sense you reference ?  Probably not.  But it could be another prong of support for gold and/or gold coins.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 10/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, EliteCollection said:

Sure one day, a gold carrying asteroid can crash onto earth and drop 1M tonnes of gold and 6x the total amount of gold on Earth. That doesn't affect the value of gold today.

Please let me know the time, date, and location of said asteroid strike.  I have a feeling I am going to want to purchase some Put Options on the S&P 500 Index about that time while others are busy stocking up on canned beans, ammo, and gold. xD (thumbsu

On 10/9/2024 at 4:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Can those be SOLD by the government ?  I believe they have done that with other "coins" but technically those might be considered bullion or chattel as they are not "monetized."

The coins were acquired for SI through normal processes just as in prior years. SI paid face value for the coins, also in conformity to past practice. SI has the authority to sell items form its collection except the coins and other items donated by the Treasury Dept in 1923. These are an internal restricted gift by one Department to the semi-independent SI. (Trying to sell - for money - anything from the SI's vast collections - would raise an immense Congressional Fart...just for starters.)

"Monetized" is a baloney term in relation to gold. It was initially applied to pricing silver bullion at its monetary value as if it were struck into standard silver dollars. (Thereby saving long term coinage and storage expenses.) The term has no meaning in relation to 1933 DE, which, according to US Mint records, were fully accounted for by weight and bag count when melted in 1937 (if I remember correctly). These documents exist and were provided to counsel at the Langbord trial. With no 1933 DE missing, the money the buyer of the Farouk/Fenton coin was forced to pay for the coin a second time was a an unlawful demand. With the Langbord coins, 1944 coins and this one, the Govt is ahead by the monetary value of the 1933 taken from rightful owners and that extracted from the Farouk/Fenton piece.

PS: The Gold Standard Act of 1900 defined the US monetary unit as a specific weight of pure gold metal. As soon as this metal was bought by the Treasury for coins (or any other purpose) it became "monetary by law." Thus, "monetized" is meaningless in that context.

Edited by RWB

On 10/9/2024 at 2:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Actually, the most frequently estimated number of 1933 DE’s is 20, just those passing through Izzy Switt’s hands. The theory is that he moved half and kept half. The process is to take the “other 10” and determine what happened to them. Did yours pass through Switt’s hands? It’s pretty clear the Smithsonian 2 did not. 

The government DESTROYED (!!! :mad:) 9 of them after the 1947 BARNARD Trial.  So you have those 9.....10 in Fort Knox.....2 in the Smith....EC's.

That's 22 coins....I think maybe Old Izzy got an even 25 for $500 in gold out of the Philly Mint.  That would allow for a few stragglers here-and-there like the coin in the Dallas Bank Collection and some others seen by folks over the decades.