• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck is this? Roosevelt or an alien?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Came across this weird dime and thought I would ask some of you guys if you know what the heck happened to this dime? Just curious.Since I am newbie here, you can private message me or email me. Thank you for any insight. Looks like Roosevelt has seen better days.

20240710_134447.jpg

20240710_134635.jpg

Edited by Pollinsworth
added to comment

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

As the "Coin Marketplace" forum is supposed to be devoted to offers to buy or sell coins, please post topics like this one on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

Your 2019-P Roosevelt dime has been severely damaged, likely by exposure to high heat, which appears to have partly melted the coin. 

Heat caused the outer clad layer to bubble and separate.  The degree of discoloring depends on a lot of factors, also, any discoloring may have since wore off.

My information is when it was discovered a formal portrait of the President was never done due to a conflict in scheduling with the artist [though the necessary funds were appropriated by an Act of Congress] his body was exhumed, positioned appropriately, and reinterred quietly under cover of darkness.  If @RWB is so inclined, he can (pardon the pun) unearth the truth buried somewhere in the National Archives.

Yours is an exceedingly rare example of a coin that was minted in an unspecified limited quantity for non-public distribution.  As I am highly-regarded on the Forum, I decline to hazard a guess as to its FMV -- and do so politely.

Edited by Henri Charriere