• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numismatic Publications
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Generally speaking, if an individual contributes to the publication of a book, would he or she receive a free copy of that publication?  Is that something generally left up to the discretion of the author or the publisher to send a courtesy copy to the contributor? 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 9:23 AM, tj96 said:

Generally speaking, if an individual contributes to the publication of a book, would he or she receive a free copy of that publication?  Is that something generally left up to the discretion of the author or the publisher to send a courtesy copy to the contributor? 

We have published authors here, I would think you'd get a few copies free though it would depend on how profitable the book is and how generous is the publisher.

MOST coin books have low volumes as a few posters here have noted.  So you won't be like a NY Times best-seller getting dozens or even hundreds of books for free or at cost.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I suspect that complimentary book copies depends on the extent of individual contribution to the overall volume. Personally, in instances where someone makes a substantial contribution to a book, such as the Peace Dollar book, they are recognized on the cover, internally, a portion of the first royalty payment (if any), and a case of books for their personal use.

PagesfromPeacedollar-v29.thumb.jpg.3835ce1ff9d573b110c18365a9992417.jpg

Contributors to my books and articles are credited in the text and/or captions by prior agreement. The research is almost entirely original work so there is rarely an opportunity for someone to make a major contribution. I try to recognize every contributor according to their wishes.

Posted (edited)

Hello tj, it's me!  :hi:  Every seven years, a member posts a question I am uniquely qualified to answer.  This is one.

There are basically two types of books released in advance of its official publication date: the rarer, seldom seen "proofreader's" copy (replete with marks of the trade) and the more common "reviewer's" copy, many of which authors send to their closest friends with a personal message and their John Hancock.  I was assigned to the Review section of the Strand and am saddened to say many such copies are sold to them at 1/4 list price, and re-sold at half-price.  One such copy was Thomas Noguchi's most famous cases as Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner of L.A. which he embellished with his John Hancock and scalpel dripping with blood. Popular, well-known authors routinely receive a complimentary box of books, as noted by Roger above. There is a practical reason for this: editors relish the opportunity to dabble in others' works very often emphasizing or de-emphasizing lines, rewriting them at will -- even excising whole pages and paragraphs much to the annoyance of authors who wished to retain their own thought patterns and "voice."

In the three times I was employed by the Strand, I could count the number of stamp collecting or coin books for sale on one hand.

I cannot address your particular situation because you do not provide enough information. Paperback book  writers and h/c book writers of Fiction, Fantasy, SciFi and Romance fare well. I am sure Ms. Rowling made out like a bandit with her H. Potter series. I would imagine every author is gifted a copy of their book for their own "review."

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation which seldom approves anything I write on a weekend whether member Idhair believes me, or not.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.