• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELECTROLYSIS AS A "CLEANING" METHOD.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I do not know if subjecting a coin to an electric current has ever been the subject of a Topic on this Forum, and I don't know if that is the term that would be used, but does anyone know if this has ever been tried, and if so, what the results were, or can expected to be?

On 7/1/2024 at 7:45 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I do not know if subjecting a coin to an electric current has ever been the subject of a Topic on this Forum, and I don't know if that is the term that would be used, but does anyone know if this has ever been tried, and if so, what the results were, or can expected to be?

Getting a tight electrical connection would introduce damage. 

Shipwreck incrustations are "dissolved" with galvanic reactions so the answer to your question is ... yes, we use electrolysis to conserve coins. It is also used on certain types of light corrosion when conserving copper coins. It is highly specific and technical to perform and only done under real adult supervision.

It's been many years but I remember having good results with many silver coins but not all. Most copper coins were not a good choice. There was already too much damage to have good results. I can't remember but there were some metals that were not worth any type of conservation. Some types of soil were kind to the coin and others left nothing to work with. 

It was fun to watch little pieces of junk fly off a coin. I still have a binder somewhere of coins that had good and bad results. This makes me want to get out my old machine and go hunting. 

On 7/2/2024 at 10:42 AM, ldhair said:

I still have a binder somewhere of coins that had good and bad results.

I also have such a binder. They (the coins) frequently tempt me into creating a talk for a major show or a brief talk at the Summer Seminar.