• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detecting Highpoint Wear on a Seemingly UNC specimen

2 posts in this topic

I'm reading in Scott Traver's book 'The Coin Collectors Survival Manual' that to distinguish wear on the highpoints of a coin that might otherwise possibly look UNC, is the slight discoloration between those very highest points and the rest of the coin.  The points with wear will show dull grey vs the rest of the coin showing a bright silver color.  Also, breaks on luster when turning under a lamp. 

I tried to take the best pictures I could. From these photos can one distinguish those high points as wear, or as maybe toning?  

I circled the dull grey areas in red.   There is definitely a contrast between brighter silver and a duller grey on those high points.   Seem to coincide with what I'm reading in Traver's Survival Manual. 

Screenshot_20240627_145414_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240627_145818_Gallery.jpg

20240627_145930.jpg

20240627_150000.jpg

20240627_145404.jpg

Edited by Carterofmars

• Administrator

Hi @Carterofmars,

Thank you for contacting us and sending the image. Unfortunately, we are unable to grade or assess coins through images. We would have to receive them at the facility to be able to make a determination if the coin has wear or toning. 

If you are interested in submitting coins to us for grading, you can find out more about the process at How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com) and our grading fees at NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com). 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thank You!