• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ROYAL MINT-TRIAL of The PYX
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I'm adding the Historic Test Pieces from the lates 2023 Trial of the Pyx, presented on behalf of The Royal Mint.

The coins are all test pieces and vary in denomination, both Gold and Silver Brilliant Proof, Britannia, commemoratives and medals.

They are from 2022 and 2023

I will add pictures soon.

Any others have these coins?

On 6/25/2024 at 6:45 PM, David SE said:

I would like to add a new set category.

Try the Forum, "Ask NGC/NCS." It is the ideal place to make such requests for consideration.   (thumbsu

On 6/25/2024 at 5:43 PM, David SE said:

I'm adding the Historic Test Pieces from the lates 2023 Trial of the Pyx, presented on behalf of The Royal Mint.

The coins are all test pieces and vary in denomination, both Gold and Silver Brilliant Proof, Britannia, commemoratives and medals.

They are from 2022 and 2023

I will add pictures soon.

Any others have these coins?

I was tempted because I am a numismatic anglophile, but the prices were just too stupid.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, RWB said:

We've seen this bologna before.

Where?  When? And how is his predilection for collecting these any different from the usual fare served up on this Forum?  I will allow it.  Show us what you've got, David.  For a member who seldom makes his presence known, I say feel free to post what you like. (thumbsu

On 6/25/2024 at 6:02 PM, RWB said:

We've seen this bologna before.

The Trial of the Pyx is not bologna. It's a long standing (900 years or so) judicial proceeding. White wigs, black robes, the firm of Rude, Belittling, and Smug. The whole shmeer.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, David SE said:

Henri. Can I watch some baseball first.  Will do. Just got them. I’ll post both graded (ngc) and directly ungraded from UK Mint 

Why, of course.  At your leisure. I am delighted to see you recognize that the examples received directly from the UK Mint are just fine as is and that the certificate with imprimatur accompanying them, enjoys universal recognition and acceptance by the coin collecting community, obviating the need for formal certification.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:13 PM, VKurtB said:

I was tempted because I am a numismatic anglophile, but the prices were just too stupid.

I threw out a couple of bids for the plates instead of coins. No joy! 

IMG_5143.jpeg

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5144.jpeg

Edited by Zebo

First time I have ever seen these. Very nice. BTW, the term "Piefort," French for foot (pied) and fort (strong) is used to denote coins minted on doubly-thick planchets.  Is this the case here? Just curious.