• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Is the United States Gold Bullion Physically Stored?

12 posts in this topic

Where is it? Physically. Hint: It's not all in one place. Can you name, IN ORDER FROM BIGGEST TO THIRD BIGGEST, where the United States Treasury's (there's a hint, the Federal Reserve holds NONE OF IT!) gold bullion is stored? The biggest is obvious, especially for @GoldFinger1969, but what of the next two?

1)

2)

3)

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/21/2024 at 4:31 PM, Greenstang said:

The obvious,   
1-Fort Knox

2-West Point

3-Denver

Why Denver? Meaning why not any other mint?

On 6/21/2024 at 4:41 PM, Greenstang said:

Don’t know for sure, possibly because of the inland location.    

Correct. The movement of gold from San Fran to Denver ROUGHLY coincided with the movement from Philly to Fort Knox. Both were pre-war planning for a possible invasion on the coasts. The amazing part is that Denver is pretty close to West Point in quantity, with Fort Knox WELL in the lead. Don't try to convince The Gentleman from the Great Commonwealth of Kentucky, Senator Paul, that it's still there, though.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:49 PM, VKurtB said:

Don't try to convince The Gentleman from the Great Commonwealth of Kentucky, Senator Paul, that it's still there, though.

Seeing is believing. 

Edited by Zebo

On 6/22/2024 at 7:10 AM, Zebo said:

Don't try to convince The Gentleman from the Great Commonwealth of Kentucky, Senator Paul, that it's still there, though.

Seeing is believing. 

His father I believe went on the 1975 tour of Fort Knox, which is in his state.  

On 6/23/2024 at 4:53 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

His father I believe went on the 1975 tour of Fort Knox, which is in his state.  

I don't see the harm in checking once in awhile.  The tour did not examine the contents of every vault but all the seals were intact and nothing appeared to be amiss.  Transparency is a good thing to reassure the public no one's pulled a fast one on anybody.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I believe it is Fort Knox....then the NY Fed (most of their gold is custodian for foreign holders)....is the NY Assay Office still around (if not, when did it surrender her gold) ?

The NYAO, 32 Wall Street was closed in the early 1980's. It was built in 1824. It's facade was dismantled in 1915,  put in storage, and resurrected in 1924 when it was integrated into a part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Today, the New York Bullion Depository, at West Point, established in 1938, has assumed the function of the former NYAO.

As of late last nite (when I last checked 🤣) the FRBNY held 507,000 gold bars with a weight of 6,331 metric tons. I am inclined to concur with Kurt as to which is the largest.

(Source: Wikipedia)

On 6/23/2024 at 2:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I believe it is Fort Knox....then the NY Fed (most of their gold is custodian for foreign holders)....is the NY Assay Office still around (if not, when did it surrender her gold) ?

Greenstang had it right. NOT EVEN ONE SINGLE FLAKE of gold in Lower Manhattan belongs to the United States. Every smidgeon is foreign owned. The weird part about the Denver holdings is that no one who witnessed the last (total) sealing of the vault at Denver containing the gold is still with us. Even the three gold bars shown during the tour at Denver were shlepped there from West Point. They didn't want to break the vault seal at Denver. The gold at Fort Knox has been "witnessed" FAAAAAAAR more recently than that at Denver. Every piece of gold owned by the United States is in the custody of the Bureau of the Mint of the Treasury Department of the United States Government. Yes, Fort Knox is under Bureau of the Mint control.

Edited by VKurtB