• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barber Half Dollars

33 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2024 at 3:14 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Definitely more detail on the reverse of the PCGS coin. Did he give you a "50" price for the NCG coin or closer to "55"? If he was at "55" money for the NGC coin but came down to "50" money what would your choice have been?

Congrats on the newp. ^^

Thanks @Fenntucky Mike!  It wasn't AU50 money for the NGC coin, but maybe 53.  I actually like the NGC coin a LOT, despite the fact that the grade is lower than what is on the holder.  It has a beautiful look (IMO).  It's hard for me to say what I would have done if he cut the price of the NGC coin even lower.  I actually wrestled with the decision last night at current pricing.  The difference between the coins was less than I pay for dinner, so I wanted the better of the two.  That said, the collector who ends-up with the NGC coin is getting a very original coin...

Note:  I think that the "originality" is what throws-off the price guides.  When CPG, NGC, PCGS provide estimates... they use sold comps within the same grade.  The problem with this is most of those sales are on coins that have been messed-with.  If I can buy original Barber Half Dollars at prices between bid and retail, I am happy.  A coin that is 25% back bid, but has obvious problems would be a regret in the long run... starting immediately after the joy of the "deal" fades.