• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

43 copper
1 1

8 posts in this topic

i have found a 1943 copper penny and need to know of anywhere to have it saved. someone painted it brown and green im guessing to hide what it was. i fear the paint could ruin it. please let me know if its possible to clean

What makes you think you have a copper 1943 cent?   Also this section of the forum is for selling not for discussions, in the future discussion posts are best posted in the newbie or US coin section of the forum.   Please do not start a new thread on this coin I have asked the mods to move this thread to the appropriate section for you.

Edited by Coinbuf

well the date is 1943 it does not stick to a magnet and although the date is barely visible i can see it is a 3 not a 5 i just do not want to attempt to clean it myself, but it does have paint on it so it will have to be cleaned. and i plan to sell it if it can be saved.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:41 PM, melscoin said:

well the date is 1943 it does not stick to a magnet and although the date is barely visible i can see it is a 3 not a 5 i just do not want to attempt to clean it myself, but it does have paint on it so it will have to be cleaned. and i plan to sell it if it can be saved.

:facepalm:

If it is painted, then how can you tell it is a copper coin.

To clean it, soak it in acetone for about 24 hours, then rinse with distilled water.   
AcetoneAcetone will not affect the coin.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:41 PM, melscoin said:

There are thousands of fake 43 copper cents floating around, you can buy quantities from China for just a few of bucks.   Assuming that it really is dated 1943 and not 1948, (you have provided no photos so that is far from assured), it is far more likely that you have one of those fakes than the real deal.    Greenstang's advice is spot on, soak the coin in acetone for a few hours to a day, that should soften or possibly dissolve the paint, this will depend on what type of paint it has on it.   I cannot fathom for a second why you would think that someone would paint it to hide it, that sounds like straight tinfoil hat stuff.    Since I highly doubt you have a genuine item I would suggest you spent it rather than waste time on it, but it's your time and your choice.

Edited by Coinbuf

You can soak the penny in olive oil for several days or even weeks. This can loosen the paint, making it easier to remove without scratching the coin 

block blast

Edited by Asaing