• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saudi Arabia 4-sovereign gold disc.

3 posts in this topic

A member asked, "How many die varieties are there of the 1- pound and 4-pound discs?"

At present, I've identified 6 (six) die varieties for the 4-sovereign discs. After additional examination, this might be reduced to 5 varieties; plus the one cracked die which is only a few of the #1 Variety.

The 1-sovereign pieces have yet to be separated by die varieties. I want to acquire good images of a larger universe of these pieces. That will improve the chances of identifying all the varieties.

For those who might wonder about relative values, I suspect there will be little difference from one variety to another. The real market adjustment will come when more collectors ignore the slab labels and seek discs with the best detail, and fewest marks on prominent areas....a lot like many other coin types. Right now the 4-sovereign pieces sell for about 1.7 times gold bullion. These discs did not circulate as money so all the "wear" is from shipping and counting house abrasion.

Edited by RWB