• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED REFERENCE CATALOG(S) FOR ENCASED COINS ("KEEP ME AND NEVER GO BROKE")
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I need a recommendation for the reference catalog(s) for encased coins.

Particularly,- for the (encased) US pennies.

I see NGC uses some references when grading these.

Can you provide with links, and/or with ISBN(s), and/or with any other information about the ones used by NGC, and/or about the ones you would like to recommend?

Thank you so much in advance!

Six hours, 36 views... and not one reply. I Googled encased coin reference books on eBay, and 91 books spilled out into my lap.  To be fair about it, most had to do with stamp-encased coins but that's one place you may consider to start your search.  Many are expensive, but that's to be expected. I'd be willing to bet most newer members have never heard of them much less seen one.

You're going to have to check libraries and bookstores and seek out specialized societies and associations.  UNLESS... there is a member here who speaks up and says he knows who you ought to contact.  Sorry you had to wait so long.

Here is a LINK to some of the references used by NGC to authenticate coins, medals, & tokens, I don't see anything specific to encased coins but they may not have it listed. The easiest thing to do would be to call or email NGC directly to ask which, if any, reference they do use for encased coins.

Secondly, I'm skeptical a reference exists that would cover all U.S. encased coins as this would be a massive undertaking and you'd probably need a Hi-Lo to lift it and a fortune to buy it. I would recommend narrowing your search if possible to specific states, events, and/or manufacturers of the encasements, something along those lines at any rate. Also, I have seen very few encased coins certified by NGC but of the ones I have none of the labels had a reference number on them which leads me to believe that NGC does not use one, and frankly I don't see why they would need to. 

I have seen a few listed in token books but never a complete reference. At coin shows I have seen dealers with hundreds of them in binders. Some of the really old ones bring a nice price. Those made with Indian Head Cents come to mind. 

A lot of folks have posted cents with strange edges and rims. Many times the coin was removed from a Lucky holder. 

Next Wednesday, June 19th, Juneteenth, I am flying from Birmingham, Alabama to Colorado Springs for an extended trip to ANA Summer Seminar. I am arriving just hours before the first week’s banquet. Part of EACH week of Summer Seminar is a “badass” book sale. I have rooted up a few truffles at ANA book sales. I won’t swear there will be an encased coin reference in the book sale, but if you can find one anywhere, that would be the place. Literally THOUSANDS of titles, mostly from ANA members who have shuffled off the mortal coil, will change hands. I own a David Lange owned book on shillings from one of these sales. I will add encased coins to my subject list for the book sale. I’ll let you know what I find. Other events before my actual class starts include a Denver Mint tour, and a Colorado Springs Coin Club coin show. As a Phillies fan, I cannot stomach going to see the Rockies play. Too inferior. :roflmao:

On 6/15/2024 at 11:37 AM, VKurtB said:

Next Wednesday, June 19th, Juneteenth, I am flying from Birmingham, Alabama to Colorado Springs for an extended trip to ANA Summer Seminar. I am arriving just hours before the first week’s banquet. Part of EACH week of Summer Seminar is a “badass” book sale. I have rooted up a few truffles at ANA book sales. I won’t swear there will be an encased coin reference in the book sale, but if you can find one anywhere, that would be the place. Literally THOUSANDS of titles, mostly from ANA members who have shuffled off the mortal coil, will change hands. I own a David Lange owned book on shillings from one of these sales. I will add encased coins to my subject list for the book sale. I’ll let you know what I find. Other events before my actual class starts include a Denver Mint tour, and a Colorado Springs Coin Club coin show. As a Phillies fan, I cannot stomach going to see the Rockies play. Too inferior. :roflmao:

Thank you Kurt!

On 6/15/2024 at 11:20 AM, ldhair said:

I have seen a few listed in token books but never a complete reference. At coin shows I have seen dealers with hundreds of them in binders. Some of the really old ones bring a nice price. Those made with Indian Head Cents come to mind. 

A lot of folks have posted cents with strange edges and rims. Many times the coin was removed from a Lucky holder. 

Thank you for sharing!

On 6/15/2024 at 8:12 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Here is a LINK to some of the references used by NGC to authenticate coins, medals, & tokens, I don't see anything specific to encased coins but they may not have it listed. The easiest thing to do would be to call or email NGC directly to ask which, if any, reference they do use for encased coins.

Secondly, I'm skeptical a reference exists that would cover all U.S. encased coins as this would be a massive undertaking and you'd probably need a Hi-Lo to lift it and a fortune to buy it. I would recommend narrowing your search if possible to specific states, events, and/or manufacturers of the encasements, something along those lines at any rate. Also, I have seen very few encased coins certified by NGC but of the ones I have none of the labels had a reference number on them which leads me to believe that NGC does not use one, and frankly I don't see why they would need to. 

Thank you for sharing. I agree about "the easiest thing", as this is what I've already done, and it was NGC's reply that lead me directly to this forum where I posted my question. As for a reference covering ALL U.S. encased coins, I might be even more skeptical than you. This is why I did not ask about that, and I hope you noticed it.