• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unique Item I just won.....I am so excited

7 posts in this topic

It's not often I get this excited about a coin purchase....but I have been looking for one of these for quite some time. I originally saw a thread about a push out dime over on the PCGS Metal Detecting forum as someone was lucky enough to dig one up.

Imagine my suprise when I found this Morgan just calling out to me last night. I felt like my chances were slim to none of acquiring the piece so I went through the motions of bidding until I hit the reserve. I waited as the clock ticked down and wondered how many times I would be outbid and what the final price was going to be........to my suprise I won it for the reserve!!!

a5_12_sb.JPG

Ebay Auction

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me it's high art!!!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

What a wild and interesting piece. It never ceases to amaze me what people have done over time to alter coins. I wonder if you'll ever know who the artist was.

Hoot

In my experience, it's unusual to see a Morgan dollar with a pushout Ms. Liberty. These are often found on Barber halves and also Barber quarters. A dealer local to me has a pushout SLQ and several pushout JFK halves. Of course, the JFK halves bear a likeness of JFK, not Ms. Liberty.

The back of this piece may have a small metal bar soldered onto it that says something like "PAT'D 11 Nov 91".

The auction photos of the reverse don't show the small metal bar or any evidence of soldering, so, perhaps the previous was only on the versions that were made into pins.

Nice piece!

Those Morgans,while not necessarily rare,are harder to fine, and you did good on this one.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how exactly these were made?

Was it a punch that was hammer into the coin with the design,or was the medal pushed out and then engraved?

Thanks,

Hayden

849594-814215-capehorn-sm.jpg.2545f6ba8cdd1134372a44b11d97b355.jpg

From my understanding it was metal dies and not something that was engraved. What I don't know...but assume is that it was two dies that were placed on either side of the coin.......and then you would have to press or hammer the back dies which would push the metal forward into the front dies which had the design on it.

This is a complete guess since I have never seen the dies, but it would make sense because of the cavity on the back side and the same Liberty Face design on the front side as seen on other denominations. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif