• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 Off Centered Draped Bust Silver Dollar
1 1

14 posts in this topic

The previous post was on a topic that originated in 2020 about a different coin, and I suggested that it would receive better attention as a new topic.  As I indicated there, I think that this coin could be a genuine 1795 Draped Bust dollar with a contemporary counterstamp and recommended that it be shown to established dealers for opinions after in-hand inspection.

Not the typical obvious fake that we see so often here, definitely worth having it looked at by someone reputable.

It's real alright.  Who would bother desecrating a fake?  I don't perceive it as being off-center.  Denticle insurance was not introduced until the late 19th century.  🤣

Wow! Thats amazing to see! I was actually trying to find another image with this same counterstamp but didn’t have any luck. The stamp is slightly different but most likely the same person. I’m 99% sure this refers to a person name Henry Barrett Crosby. I learned that amongst other things he was a wholesale grocer and I learned it was fairly common for store owners to mark their money. He also worked for Samuel Colt for a period of time. Do you have any other information about that coin? A link to its sale? Etc 

On 6/8/2024 at 9:38 PM, Lauren Scheffler said:

Wow! Thats amazing to see! I was actually trying to find another image with this same counterstamp but didn’t have any luck. The stamp is slightly different but most likely the same person. I’m 99% sure this refers to a person name Henry Barrett Crosby. I learned that amongst other things he was a wholesale grocer and I learned it was fairly common for store owners to mark their money. He also worked for Samuel Colt for a period of time. Do you have any other information about that coin? A link to its sale? Etc 

I do not collect counterstamp coins, but I do enjoy them. You would be better served learning about the coin itself like the history of the coin where it was minted how many were minted etc.. The coin is more important than the counterstamp. Often a counterstamp can devalue a coin. Sometimes certain stamps are sought after. I'd learn about the coin first. Cheers

On 6/9/2024 at 12:56 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

...You would be better served learning about the coin itself like the history of the coin where it was minted how many were minted etc...

I would agree but one cannot overlook the quasi-personal.connection here. Take Paterson, NJ out of the equation and what are you left with? A scrawny eagle. [I would go further and suggest if you take a really close look at the family tree you'd find Bing Crosby was a scion.]  :roflmao:

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 11:38 PM, Lauren Scheffler said:

Click here

Sell price was $240, including the buyers premium.

Edited by Just Bob