• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collection of Historical Records of the Carson City NV. Mint. Various contributors credited.
1 1

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 6:43 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓  :  "You continue to mint coins with the die(s) you have, not the die(s) you want or wish to have at a later date."

By the 1860s, the practice of using the prior year's dated dies had been prohibited. That is what generated the telegram of Jan. 4. The telegram is clear that Carson had not received 1870-date dies at that point. The two documents statements are very clear and direct. I am asking the poster for the source of his info -- there might be something additional that confirmed his comments. It's not an "accusation" of any sort.

The SF Mint had nothing to do with Carson dies, so why is that included in your post?

[A "gold siphon" was used to transfer nitric acid from one refining pot to another. It had nothing to do with dies.]

Please, if you don't understand an old letter, just ask for clarification....there was a lot of language ("jargon") specific to the mints and assay offices, and much is no longer used.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 6/9/2024 at 9:59 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Postcard from Carson City NV US Mint 1909 Lithograph

Carson City NV 1909 Postcard Litho.webp

Wow! The trees are almost all gone. 

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, RWB said:

Both. The silver dominated but there was a fair percentage of gold. It cost more to ship to Carson than SF, and SF could easily handle the refining volume - Carson could not.

Do you have any references to substantiate the claim that shipping to Carson City was more costly than shipping to San Francisco ?

The Virginia & Truckee railroad weaved its way down the hill from Virginia City, and then across the relatively flatter land to Carson City first.

Anything shipped via railroad from Virginia City mines would literally have to pass right through Carson City before continuing on to San Francisco.

Edited by dcarr

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2024 at 6:00 PM, dcarr said:

Do you have any references to substantiate the claim that shipping to Carson City was more costly than shipping to San Francisco ?

The Virginia & Truckee railroad weaved its way down the hill from Virginia City, and then across the relatively flatter land to Carson City first.

Anything shipped via railroad from Virginia City mines would literally have to pass right through Carson City before continuing on to San Francisco.

wnhpctbr0163-m.jpgV&T Railroad freight depot as seen from the top of the Carson City, NV US Mint and tracks heading out of town towards Virginia City, NV. 1880s

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 6/15/2024 at 9:00 PM, dcarr said:

"Do you have any references to substantiate the claim that shipping to Carson City was more costly than shipping to San Francisco ?

Anything shipped via railroad from Virginia City mines would literally have to pass right through Carson City before continuing on to San Francisco."

Search for yourself.  You'll get no help from me.

On 6/17/2024 at 7:02 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Absolutely stunning in its intensity..

I'm not the least bit stunned. The irrational enmity toward Daniel on this board, led by Roger, is amazing, but NOT stunning.

On 6/19/2024 at 6:22 PM, VKurtB said:

I'm not the least bit stunned. The irrational enmity toward Daniel on this board, led by Roger, is amazing, but NOT stunning.

Whether the Grand Master and Numismatist of the Year likes it or not, or accepts it or not, he is a role model with a bearing to maintain on a public Forum.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:37 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Whether the Grand Master and Numismatist of the Year likes it or not, or accepts it or not, he is a role model with a bearing to maintain on a public Forum.

News flash: He doesn't care about that and he never has. I was in Daniel's company this evening at Summer Seminar. Daniel Carr is truly one first class individual, and if you knew Daniel as I do, anyone who has a "problem" with Daniel could only be reduced in your eyes. That's the MAIN reason I am NO KIND OF RWB FAN!!!! "The enemy. of my friend is...?" That STILL doesn't mean I am a fan of some of Daniel's original designs. Some are fine, but some are simplistic. His style resembles Robert Aiken's earlier works - not very sophisticated.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/4/2024 at 2:35 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Carson City Mint Letter Re: Wells Fargo Shipment of Gold Coins [131776] - Holabird Western ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          This is a letter from the Carson City Mint secretary L.L. Elwood to R. Keating of The Nevada Bank of Virginia City, confirming a shipment of $2,400 in gold coin via Wells, Fargo Express on February 18, 1892. The note is on Mint of the United States at Carson letterhead.

Wonderful!

On 6/21/2024 at 1:46 PM, RWB said:

I refuse to assist in any way that person or others of its ilk.

Anyone else is OK.

He doesn't HAVE an ilk. YOU do!

[It's summer. There's a full moon tonight. Out of an abiding respect for the OP, and in deference to the valid criticism lodged by several members on a thread currently running on another Forum, I am going to withhold comment so as to allow Mike's topic to unspool in an orderly fashion.]

I have already had three live conversations about this thread here at Summer Seminar. Four people. All four dismiss RWB's opinion about shipping differences between Carson City and San Francisco, and these are among the top experts in the field, who spent serious bucks to be here.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, RWB said:

"Do you have any references to substantiate the claim that shipping to Carson City was more costly than shipping to San Francisco ?

Anything shipped via railroad from Virginia City mines would literally have to pass right through Carson City before continuing on to San Francisco."

This above, from @dcarr, is an absolute truth. On the railroad, Carson City is ON THE PATH between the Comstock Lode and San Francisco. AFTER Carson City, you STILL need to pass through Truckee, the Donner Pass, Sacramento, and then on to San Fran.

NOTICE: While I usually refrain from moderation or attempts to quash free speech, I must request that all correspondence on this thread be in relation to the topic on hand. Please refrain from general discussion of other matters not related to the CC Mint here on this reference thread. This policy will keep the thread clear and concise without adding a bunch of unnecessary material visitors would have to read through. Thank you for you participation and cooperation. Violators will be shot. JK ;) Mike

@dcarr My research has shown that:

In 1880, it was generally cheaper to ship gold to San Francisco rather than Carson City. Here’s why:

1. Distance and Infrastructure:

• San Francisco was a major port city with well-established shipping routes and infrastructure.
    • Carson City, while important for silver mining, was inland and lacked the same level of connectivity.
  2. Transportation Costs:

• Shipping costs were influenced by distance, mode of transportation (railroads, ships, or wagons), and handling fees.
    • The longer the distance, the higher the transportation costs.
  3. Market Demand:

• San Francisco was a bustling hub for commerce, finance, and trade.
    • Gold shipments to San Francisco were in high demand due to the city’s role in the Gold Rush and its thriving economy.
  4. Competition:

• San Francisco had multiple shipping options, including railroads and ships, leading to competitive rates.
    • Carson City had fewer options, which could result in higher costs.

In summary, the combination of better infrastructure, shorter distance, and market demand made San Francisco the more cost-effective choice for shipping gold in the 1800s. Silver and gold produced in the Comstock Lode and surrounding areas throughout the 1870s -1890s however was usually predominantly shipped to The US Mint Carson City NV as this lode was the main reason the mint was built in the first place. Other mining areas of the time not in the Comstock area would ship all of their gold and silver to San Francisco throughout the 1850s-1890s and beyond.

V&T Railroad Steam Engine Carson City, NV Station 1876   DAC (Digital Art Creation) By M. Meenderink 2024

V&T Steam Engine Carson City,NV Station M.meenderink.png

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 6/21/2024 at 1:46 PM, RWB said:

I refuse to assist in any way that person or others of its ilk.

Anyone else is OK.

I am not looking for any assistance.
If you do not care to defend your contention under peer review, then so be it.

Walter Breen used to make things up to suit his narratives.
I think some of us can agree that such a thing should be avoided.

Edited by dcarr

On 6/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, dcarr said:

That is a nice work. Do you start with a photograph and digitally "paint" on it, or is it some other method ?

I use digital art photographic overlays along with photo editing, filtering and manipulation to bring these images together. If you notice the skies are real pictures that I edit in with Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Glad you like them. I am working on more stay tuned!