• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collection of Historical Records of the SF Old Mint. Various contributors credited.
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is the collection of historical records of the San Francisco Old Mint.  Feel free to post any relevant persons, coins, historical information, correspondence, pictures, references, links etc... in a concise and meaningful manner as you see fit. Open forum for discussion of the mint and related industries. Feel free to ask questions as well. Thanks for your interest and/or contribution. - Mike

54-Old-Mint.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

Nice article. Too bad the author doesn't tell readers what is shown in the photos.

Also, the earthquake did not do serious damage to the city - but it damaged gas lines and that caused the fire. Flames might have consumed the Mint building, if it did not have its own well and water pumps. (See letter, below)

19060528SFempfoughtfiresm.thumb.jpg.cfcdbf1ef75c72f69e5bf64a4fa8f530.jpg

Those who want to read the first hand reports and telegrams can go to the NNP and look in:

RG104 Entry 229 box 244, and

RG104 Entry 235 volumes 355, 357 and 358

Most of this material is typed, so even youngsters ("phonesters?") can read it.

Edited by RWB

Posted (edited)

Old SF Mint 1906/2018                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Then and now...

Old-Mint-18apr1906.jpg

old.mint-12feb2017.jpg

Single sheet Report of Gross Production for July 1,1881 to December 31st,1881. Cower (?) & Co. Mining Company, Moores Flat (Post Office), Nevada County, California. No other information is filled in.  To: San Francisco Mint Superintendent

29369822_1.jpg

Receipt of gold (California grains) deposited by S. A. McMeans, signed by Cahill for the San Francisco Branch Mint. Dr. S. A. McMeans was born in Dandrdige, Tennessee in 1808 and fought in the war with Mexico. He arrived in California in 1849. He was elected as State Treasurer in 1853 and during his term finances all over the state of California were in deplorable condition. According to Bancroft, "Millions had been wrung out of the people to support extravagant county and municipal governments." While reform was underway, it began too late to avert catastrophe and a deficit was discovered in the accounts of McMeans, the State Treasurer. McMeans was also involved in the bank failures of 1855 and 1856. He died in Virginia City in 1876.

21871802_1.jpg

A bit off the beaten track, but I'm curious.  Did they ever catch the guy(s) who stole the chimneys off the Mint's roof?

They are prominently featured in the first photograph but noticeably missing from your "before" and "after" photos.

Posted (edited)

The Library of Congress has additional photos, and there is a lengthy HABS/HAER/HALS survey on the SF Mint building. The LoC materials are available on-line. Readers will find original floor plans and other information in my book From Mine to Mint. (Plans for other mints and assay offices are also included.)

Edited by RWB

From: Structural Engineers Association of Northern California

[https://legacy.seaonc.org/structure/old-san-francisco-mint/]

The Old San Francisco Mint is a three-story brick masonry and stone-clad bearing and shear wall structure that measures approximately 220.5 feet in the north-south direction by 165 feet in the east-west direction. There is a courtyard in the center that measures about 102.5 feet north-south by 43 feet east-west. The building sits on a massive mat-type foundation of unreinforced concrete that is approximately 4 to 4.5 feet thick below the basement level. The average building height from ground level to the roof is 52.5 feet. The first and second floors are constructed of wrought iron beams supported on the masonry walls and cast-iron columns. The floors consist of shallow brick arches with a concrete rubble fill on top spanning between the beams. The floors are typically finished with stone pavers or hardwood floor. The attic floor system is made of shallow, corrugate iron arches with a concrete rubble fill on top. The roof framing includes wrought iron beams and trusses with stacked timber joists and straight timber sheathing, creating the roof diaphragm.

There are two large, main chimney stacks on the roof that taper from 12 feet square at the base to 11.5 foot square at the top. These chimneys were originally extended 69 feet above the gable roof. The top 25 feet of both main chimney stacks was clad with ornate cast iron. Each chimney has a central flue and four corner flues.

The top 25 feet of the chimneys, including the ornate cast-iron, was removed after sustaining damage in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Posted (edited)

Contributor RWB  image.png.453f90c93219db6343f3a28fd44b45be.pngimage.thumb.png.f9ba2f730eaa8bd4fce5635c73eb4f46.png   Left/ 1 pg Document Regarding funds allocation May 5, 1906 To: SF Mayor From: SF Mint Secretary. Right/ 2 pg Document May 14,1906 regarding the effects of the 1906 SF earthquake to the US Mint. To: Sec. of The US Treasury. From: Director of SF Mint.  

Looks like Mike has been busy. Usually best to crop these presscopy pages, and use only 1 or 2 per post so they remain readable.

There's a lot of Carson Mint material in the Mint archives, but little relating to specific events. (I'm not sure what is in the 3-vol set published a year or so ago, but It might be mostly about specific coins and or newspaper articles.)

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 4:08 PM, RWB said:

One of the building photos Mike posted shows Mint employees on the roof, possibly spraying water to prevent damage.

alqatacc.png

SF Mint 1906 Earthquake Telegram.jpg

@RWB This has now been corroborated. Mint employees were in fact fighting the 1906 fire on the roof as seen in the photo. Fact.ilr9epea.png

Posted (edited)

Letter dated April 11,1900. To: Mint Director Roberts. From: Superintendent Leach.   Discussing the theft by assay office employee B.C. Bergen and his eminent dismissal. Contributor RWB

image.thumb.png.0bf988114f9a0dca1cd89a77ccbdf309.pngimage.thumb.png.df982377ca532a7b18be515b18970336.pngimage.thumb.png.c283e23a23ce5c71ec1a654f18cb4bf9.pngimage.thumb.png.d750261ef95a2797462c132b27416be4.png

Posted (edited)

Approval of Requisition for Funds/ Dated: January 10, 1906 / Treasury Department- Bureau of the Mint. To: SF Mint Superintendent Leach From: Acting Mint Director Robert E. Preston. US Treasury Department letterhead. The letter lists all the operating expenses requisition in total of $35,000.00 as related to the operation of the San Francisco Mint and that it has been approved for the month of January 1906.  Contributor RWB

image.png

[I read everything posted on this thread, Mike. Great stuff!  The hue and cry was raised many years ago about the wanton destruction of newspaper morgues due primarily to the prohibitive cost of storing records.  After an interval, they were routinely being destroyed. Photographing copies proceeded rapidly to microfilming and scanning with storage in cyberspace.  However, much like the Chat Board, besieged with material contributed steadily and continually resulting in exponential storage needs, files are deleted.  When deletion occurs, records are lost.  With loss of records, history is lost. When history is lost, it's gone forever. Informal notes and secondary sources are consulted if they exist.

Research extends to oral histories and institutional memories  This is true for every field of endeavor. Regrettably, while diamonds are forever, the storage of data isn't and there is presently no oversight body empowered to review the matter of storage of cyberstorage and it has since been disclosed that with the stroke of a key massive amounts of are continually being destroyed.  Without photographs and newspaper accounts and books on the same, what is one left with? Nothing.

To add to Henri's cogent comments, all the digital records of the Egyptian 4th Dynasty were lost when the system architect (a son of Pharaoh Shepseskaf) forgot to install an "ON" button and tried to hot wire the system using an old Hyundai ignition coil. ;)

Posted (edited)

Authentic 1890's Comstock Lode (Virginia City, NV) pure silver ingot. SF Mint 1st generation seal. Serial # 220   6.15 oz 999.75 Fine Silver 5" x 3.2" x 1.1" This is an example of the earliest small silver ingots produced at the SF Mint. Ingots like this could be used as a form of currency if needed. A rare specimen as many of these ingots had been melted at some point in time.

Comstock Lode Silver Ingot 1890 SF MInt.jpg

Comstock Lode Silver Ingot 1890 SF MInt2.jpg

Comstock Lode Silver Ingot 1890 SF MInt3.jpg

Posted (edited)

Comstock Lode Silver/Gold Ore, Cedar Hill Mine Virginia City NV 1869

A high-grade dual ore sample from one of the top producing mines of the Comstock Lode that supplied the SF Mint with precious metals.

MMH102-HI-GRADE-SILVER-GOLD-ORE-NORTH-COMSTOCK1-3.jpg

Nice examples. The SF bar might be listed in mint documents held at NARA in San Bruno, CA. I don't believe the bar number is significant - it should refer to a deposit or a bar made on one day to match bookkeeping records. That is, the bar numbers are not sequential. I'll check.

Edited by RWB

In checking my database, bar numbers were usually assigned in numerical order at the beginning of a month, quarter, specific deposit or other event for the purpose of matching the bar number to its source. There was never a master number system. The number stamped on this bar is not significant except for tracking the metal's source in an inventory and bookkeeping system. Thus "low number" has no particulate meaning except within and unknown production context.

[I find no explicit instructions on numbering bars, but will remember that as something to be aware of.]

Little bars, like the one illustrated, were usually silver remaining from refining a native California gold deposit. The so-called Comstock Lode had a much lower gold proportion than California or other gold producing regions. That makes a little bar of silver a suspicious commodity.  It would be nice to see the authentication evidence for such a small silver bar.

Merely asking.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:43 PM, RWB said:

Little bars, like the one illustrated, were usually silver remaining from refining a native California gold deposit. The so-called Comstock Lode had a much lower gold proportion than California or other gold producing regions. That makes a little bar of silver a suspicious commodity.  It would be nice to see the authentication evidence for such a small silver bar.

Merely asking.

The information that was associated with the bar above was an auction description from 2015. The bar was described as a first-generation early bar from the SF Mint. The description specifically stated the bar was among the bars that were impressed with the 1st generation SF Mint seal. The mint seal impression does appear to be a match. The seals that were used type 1, 2, 3. I have found an article that delves into this subject that may add more specifics. My research indicates the dates below are a bit shallow and the type 1 mint seal was used from the beginning of the mints production as there is no other types known prior to the type 1. I believe the seal was used prior to 1900 on some small ingots but the majority of small 4 oz-6oz ingots were made during the 1920s -1950s. Research continues.

Ingots are an older form of Mint 5-ounce silver bullion pieces

1.-first-photo-type-i-634-cs-5.57-ozs-merged.jpg?sfvrsn=b6b210e3_0
Shown left to right are Type I, Type II and Type III 5-ounce silver ingots from the San Francisco Mint, dating from the 1930s to late in the 20th century.

By Ken Conaway 

If you are a coin dealer, coin collector, or just a numismatic enthusiast, chances are good that you have encountered a U.S. government issued silver bar before. Silver bars or ingots were produced at the U.S. Assay Office at New York, the Philadelphia Mint and the San Francisco Mint, collectively, for almost 100 years, 1892 to 1984. 

I have been collecting these historical gems over the past six years but find that information about their production is more scarce than the ingots themselves.

My research and collection efforts to date have focused on those produced at the San Francisco Mint in the 5-ounce class. I have been able to identify the various series that were made but continue to search for information that would certify a production timeline. I have been writing about my findings and posting photographs for two years now on my blog. Hopefully, through this article I can reach out to Coin World readers to assist with this research. 

Pictured here is an ingot that dates back to what I believe to be the very first series from the early 1930s, bearing what is known as a Type I oval hallmark. I have been able to approximate the dating of this particular type through a number of early 1930s coin auction catalogs by M.H. Bolender, Orangeville, Ill., and a documented donation to the American Numismatic Society on June 21, 1939, by David M. Bullowa. A note with the donation states that the donor purchased the ingot in 1935 for $5.

These Type I oval hallmark ingots were produced with three different font sizes, each with two different fineness stamps, 999.75 or 999.5, and then in a series without serial numbers, for a total of seven varieties. The latest of these was produced in the mid 1940s as evidenced by a receipt that is part of my collection. Accurate dating and chronological organization of all others remains the task to complete. 

The Type II oval hallmark, also pictured, appeared around 1946 but is found on very few 5-ounce class ingots as it seems that most ingots being produced in that time frame were in the 25-ounce class range and larger. 

And finally, in 1959, a round dated hallmark was introduced on 5-ounce class ingots. There are round dated hallmarks on larger ingots as late as 1960 as well as U.S. Assay Office oval hallmarks from San Francisco, as the Mint was identified between 1962 and 1988, but nothing later on 5-ounce class ingots than the hallmark in the nearby picture.

If anyone has any information that will help with my efforts to accurately date and chronologically organize almost 150 5-ounce class examples presently in my collection, please contact me.

Ken Conaway discusses U.S. Mint silver bars at his blog at http://silveringot.blogspot.com/. He can be reached at kenconaway@aol.com or 614-571-0614.

Thanks. That helps a little but without more details on original sources it's anonymous anecdotes. None of the 3 illustrated types are germane to Nevada mining. Conaway's 2nd sentence, "Silver bars or ingots were produced at the U.S. Assay Office at New York, the Philadelphia Mint and the San Francisco Mint, collectively, for almost 100 years, 1892 to 1984," places the three "types" well out of Comstock range, and likely the same for his research.. Also, the small weights of the silver bars remains suspicious. Standard US Mint bars were approx 400 oz for gold and 2,000 oz for silver.

What are your sources, Mike?