• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"How do you think present day numismatists stack up vs. those of long ago, in terms of knowledge?"

6 posts in this topic

I do not believe I am informed enough to offer a generalized view.

Posted (edited)

I believe there is a surface coin collecting market that is starry eyed and stupid only because they are the types of people that think they can get rich quick. This market goes both ways with bad sellers and stupid buyers. If you become either one of these types of coin collectors, you are in serious risk of either getting ripped off or getting busted for fraud. The deeper level of collecting is the truly numismatically interested persons that are not in the hobby or the profession for the money only. Usually, these types of collectors strive to gain knowledge of the coins they collect. There are the even deeper levels of entrepreneurial collectors or investment collectors that only buy coins as investments and do not really have any interest beyond the appreciation of the value. The varying knowledge among these types is vastly different across all coin collecting types. As far as the overall numismatic knowledge of today verses yesteryear I'd say the hobby has come a long way with varieties, errors and many expert studies on rare and important coins that were not available 60 years ago.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 6/1/2024 at 1:19 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I do not believe I am informed enough to offer a generalized view.

I agree fully. You are, perhaps by necessity, captive of one side.

100 THINGS WE’VE LOST TO THE INTERNET by Pamela Paul

The acclaimed editor of The New York Times Book Review takes readers on a nostalgic tour of the pre-Internet age, offering powerful insights into both the profound and the seemingly trivial things we’ve lost.

NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY CHICAGO TRIBUNE AND THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS • “A deft blend of nostalgia, humor and devastating insights.”—People

Remember all those ingrained habits, cherished ideas, beloved objects, and stubborn preferences from the pre-Internet age? They’re gone.

To some of those things we can say good riddance. But many we miss terribly. Whatever our emotional response to this departed realm, we are faced with the fact that nearly every aspect of modern life now takes place in filtered, isolated corners of cyberspace—a space that has slowly subsumed our physical habitats, replacing or transforming the office, our local library, a favorite bar, the movie theater, and the coffee shop where people met one another’s gaze from across the room. Even as we’ve gained the ability to gather without leaving our house, many of the fundamentally human experiences that have sustained us have disappeared.

In one hundred glimpses of that pre-Internet world, Pamela Paul, editor of The New York Times Book Review, presents a captivating record, enlivened with illustrations, of the world before cyberspace—from voicemails to blind dates to punctuation to civility. There are the small losses: postcards, the blessings of an adolescence largely spared of documentation, the Rolodex, and the genuine surprises at high school reunions. But there are larger repercussions, too: weaker memories, the inability to entertain oneself, and the utter demolition of privacy.

100 Things We’ve Lost to the Internet is at once an evocative swan song for a disappearing era and, perhaps, a guide to reclaiming just a little bit more of the world IRL.