• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Real” Numismatics and Internet Numismatics Share Almost Nothing in Common

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The last coin I’ve purchased on line was , well, a few months ago- a 23s quarter in an NGC holder. At the last 2 local coin shows there were no AU or better ones available. And perhaps 15 years ago , a ‘35 Connecticut commemorative, another which I never encountered . The remainder of my slabs- maybe 30- were all purchased in a shop or at a show raw- which I subsequently got graded. 

There are no youngsters at these local shows. Nothing to do with the ANA. A  lack of interest, plus requiring some concentration of learning. And curiosity. 

Edited by Dave1384

ANA does not present collectors with a reason to join. I suspect most current members wanted to join for the publications and support for the then-current actions and goals -- especially independent grading and anti-counterfeiting. Now, there is nothing to keep ANA in the thoughts of collectors; no daily guided "influencers", no refreshment of ideas. I see considerable improvement in the Numismatist, but not elsewhere. Maybe things are changing, but it has to happen before ANA becomes irrelevant to members and to the hobby/business.

As for the thread's title, it would be helpful to have a definition to use in making comparisons.

I have been a member of the ANA for more years than I can remember. I never receive anything from them. No mail, emails or anything else. They are too busy fighting with each other to care.  

That absence of contact is a critical failing. It is not how to keep a product before its public.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:20 AM, World Colonial said:

... This forum isn't active but on PCGS, the posting volume is something like 100-1 US vs. World..

Q.A.:  We've been here five years.  I wonder if we made the right choice...

🐓:  We did. Trust me. I have it on good authority. We haven't missed a thing.

Q.A.:  Man, I love this place!

On 6/8/2024 at 1:49 PM, ldhair said:

I have been a member of the ANA for more years than I can remember. I never receive anything from them. No mail, emails or anything else. They are too busy fighting with each other to care.  

Now that’s WEIRD, Larry. I receive scads of mail and email and texts from the ANA. ONE OF US must be doing it wrong.