• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Message threads are more useful that some realize.

6 posts in this topic

So many questions so little time. Questions reveal answers that beget new questions. You might as well start working on Mint to Mint 3 now. Get to work..

On 5/31/2024 at 12:10 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

So many questions so little time. Questions reveal answers that beget new questions. You might as well start working on Mint to Mint 3 now. Get to work..

I would, except the pool of reliable information has become very shallow. The US Mint systems never kept a comprehensive history of their operations - unlike the British and French Mints. Most US Mint technical and operational information was kept by individuals in pocket notebooks - nearly all of which are lost. There were few user guides or operational manuals prepared and almost none exist. Training of new employees was verbal and on-the-job, and many employees were not of the type that kept personal diaries.  I fear the MTM3 would be a thin and unsatisfying volume.

On 5/31/2024 at 9:54 PM, RWB said:

The US Mint systems never kept a comprehensive history of their operations - unlike the British and French Mints. Most US Mint technical and operational information was kept by individuals in pocket notebooks - nearly all of which are lost.

Oh well, then I guess nothing ever happened there. That’s the standard, right? If you don’t have (retained) documentary evidence, then it didn’t happen. That’s been your “jam” all along, right?

Pfffft.

Beginning with the telephone, the volume and information density of US Mint and Treasury documents began to decline. Verbal instructions have always existed - the pattern pieces of 1879-1882 were the result of verbal conversations not recorded on paper, for example - but once telephones sat on every clerk's desk, many discussions about operations and plans were only summarized. The long letters of mid-19th century discussion and explanation largely vanished. By 1920 document are increasingly superficial except for specific internal reports or Congressional submissions (which are not necessarily reliable).

Further, increased use of contractors meant that Mint engineers no longer built equipment and were engaged in routine maintenance rather than major repairs. A coin press made by Ferracute Machine Co, was repaired by Ferracute not by Mint mechanics as in the past. Almost all record of repairs therefor was part of the Ferracute company records (Hagley Museum, Ferracute Machine Company records 1928), not the Mint's.

The historical result is that the amount and extent of detail recorded and retained diminished, even as operations expanded.

Posted (edited)

I back up every few/5 pages the SAINT-GAUDENS Thread here and a few others dealing with Saints....I save key posts here and ATS dealing with grading concepts, wear, key coin hobby facts, etc.

I urge anybody who has a thread here or elsewhere that has valuable information for a coin series they collect or follow to back it up on their OWN PC.  You never know if a thread gets deleted...locked....website goes down....TOS Denial...etc. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969